Sandfest ?

Pardon my ignorance, but I want to make sure that I understand this.

I will go through DNR gate number 1 to get into a parking lot. In order to do this, both my truck and quad need to registered with the state of michigan.

Then I can unload in that parking lot and go through gate number 2 with my quad to actually ride the dunes. At gate 2 is where they actually perform the SA, sound tests.

Can I register my truck and quad at the first gate, or do I have to go somewhere else first? Can I get by w/out registering my truck? I have no intention of taking it out on the dunes.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

mrmatt........

anything that enters the parking lot must have a pass, be it a daily or yearly. passes are the same price for a truck or any bike, $24/year or $4/day, and out of state prices go up a few bucks. Your best bet is to have someone take your bike in with them and buy a day pass, then you wont have to pay for your truck.

All passes can be purchased at the gate, only takes a few seconds. Also the will check for alcohol there, i know from experience. :confused:

Matt, gate 1 is just a booth like driving into indiana state parks that take your money and give you your parking passes and stickers for you truck and quad. Then you go to the parking lot like minkia was saying and unload, fuel up, whatever. Gate two that he is talking about is another booth that goes to the dunes. You ride your quad through the parking lot to that booth and the dnr looks for spark arrestors and makes sure your flag hit the pole they have set up. I believe 10ft. It's simple. The first gate can have a wait at it. I went with Minkia and we had a good breakfest at a buffet. I'm sure we can find other things to do besides ride also.

I've been checking out some cottage rentals also. I can get a 8-10 person cottage for 1000/week...Don't get scared yet, this is for a week. I haven't got a price for 4 days yet. I'm guessing around $500. If we split that between 10 people, then its only 50/person for 4 days/3nights....One of the places is a 3 story building all to ourselves. The pics shows its pretty spacious w/ a huge living room, kitchen, 2 baths, etc... I've found more than one. Just wondering what everyones thoughts on it...???? If not, then we'll hook up at a campground, If the wife doesn't go, then I'll just sleep in my 14' enclosed trailer...Just getting ideas.

I'll probably stay at the silver sands motel. Their rates go down after labor day, and they have nice clean rooms with microwave and coffee and theres a great resturaunt with a breakfast buffet right out front :) . I'll have my camping gear with me, just in case, but I have this feeling it's gonna be cold as shit like last year.

To anyone that is camping.

I have never been up there and was just wondering where anyone is/has stayed that is fairly close and has at least electric hook ups. Nobody else seems to be camping, so reccomendations for places that you have stayed at would be greatly appreciated. I'm aslo just looking for ideas.

Sorry, no cottage for me either.

Broke, I think that the campground 'Val-de-lakes' was discussed earlier. I didn't read back through this whole post but I believe that boonman was planning on staying there. But I also remember someone saying that it was a sh*t hole. This trip less than two weeks away, we should decide on a campground soon. I plan on getting there around 5-6pm on Friday and leaving on Sunday afternoon. Is this about what you plan on doing? If so, I can reserve a campsite for you and I, once we decide where.

Matt

wish i could make it to this.. Sorry if this is a repost i havnt read the entire topic, but here is a link to some hotels and campgrounds. I stayed at the hideaway campgrounds last time. Has electric sites, and wasnt to bad, about 5 minutes from the dunes

http://www.silverlakesanddunes.com/directory.html

So what was the campground that didn't mind fires and a little noise. We should all just stay there. Someone post it with a phone number. It was a few pages back I think. I'll go look.

We need to get organized or we aren't going to be meeting very many hq'ers.

I'll be in a black ford f150 supercrew with a big chrome fox sticker on the back window. Don't hesitate to talk to me. I'll know where some hq'ers are as I'm sure you will. It'll be the easiest way for each of us to find each other. Maybe the grey tape on the flags too.

Edited by fixitrod