Do It Yourself Porting

shee4202

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've used the race logic templates as well, I've also done alot of v-8 chevy porting. There is more to 2 stroke porting then you might think, your timing is greatly effected when you get into transfer port area. Don't get me wrong, a clean up helps and I like doing things myself but it is hard to get the power the pro's do. I had Jeff at F.A.S.T do a strong dune port, he does this stuff day in and day out. I have almost all the tools except the angle die grinder which was just about the same price for the port work. Good luck to those who try, my hat is off to you. :beer:

I've used the race logic templates as well, I've also done alot of v-8 chevy porting. There is more to 2 stroke porting then you might think, your timing is greatly effected when you get into transfer port area. Don't get me wrong, a clean up helps and I like doing things myself but it is hard to get the power the pro's do. I had Jeff at F.A.S.T do a strong dune port, he does this stuff day in and day out. I have almost all the tools except the angle die grinder which was just about the same price for the port work. Good luck to those who try, my hat is off to you. :beer:

The pros also use a flow bench. Through trial and error, they have learned how many cc of air flow through a port works best at what RPM. Larger ports perform better at higher rpm, but you loose low end. Think of it like drinking coke through a straw, or trying to drink coke through a garden hose. Yes the garden hose will flow more, but it takes a lot more effort to get it going.

4-stroke is much easier because the port size does not affect timing. For mild port work, or a clean-up, I would be confident doing it myself. All you are realy doing is gasket matching, removing sharp edges, smoothing the angles and removing any casting marks or obstructions, to allow more airflow. That type of stuff is taken care of with a "mild" port. This will show a definate improvement over stock. I have also seen some 2-strokes with huge casting marks in the ports.

Changing the port size or major changes in port shape without knowing exactly what your are doing :blink: ,,,,you may actualy hurt performance. Having a template to work with (and a lot of patience to follow the template exactly) you should still be able to make a strong improvement over stock. But I most likely will not be as good a job as a proffesional.

When you do it youself,,,,you are getting the benifit of a mild port job. When you pay the Pro,,,you are paying for years of trial, error, and experience. You should be getting the best gold plated port job for your application.

I'm not done yet. That's just all I had time for that night. I will post progress pics as I go along.

If you look close at the tope of the ports on red's port job, and then look at the pics above,,,you can see where the top of the port has been raised on the pics above. (That means the timing has been changed slightly.)

Not saying good or bad,,,,,Just pointing it out for some of the people that were asking about port picks.

Edited by mavbike

The pros also use a flow bench. Through trial and error, they have learned how many cc of air flow through a port works best at what RPM. Larger ports perform better at higher rpm, but you loose low end. Think of it like drinking coke through a straw, or trying to drink coke through a garden hose. Yes the garden hose will flow more, but it takes a lot more effort to get it going.

4-stroke is much easier because the port size does not affect timing. For mild port work, or a clean-up, I would be confident doing it myself. All you are realy doing is gasket matching, removing sharp edges, smoothing the angles and removing any casting marks or obstructions, to allow more airflow. That type of stuff is taken care of with a "mild" port. This will show a definate improvement over stock. I have also seen some 2-strokes with huge casting marks in the ports.

Changing the port size or major changes in port shape without knowing exactly what your are doing :blink: ,,,,you may actualy hurt performance. Having a template to work with (and a lot of patience to follow the template exactly) you should still be able to make a strong improvement over stock. But I most likely will not be as good a job as a proffesional.

When you do it youself,,,,you are getting the benifit of a mild port job. When you pay the Pro,,,you are paying for years of trial, error, and experience. You should be getting the best gold plated port job for your application.

If you look close at the tope of the ports on red's port job, and then look at the pics above,,,you can see where the top of the port has been raised on the pics above. (That means the timing has been changed slightly.)

Not saying good or bad,,,,,Just pointing it out for some of the people that were asking about port picks.

Well said, I did'nt want to type all of that, I was trying to be short with it. :beer:

not knocking anyones idea or shade tree port and theres nothing wrong with experimenting but you can have the fanciest cleaneast looking symmetrical intakes around but its not gonna make your banshee much faster ,the intake is not where the bulk of the power is gonna be made,without the right tool and more importantly the know how your not gonna get deep inside/behind and change the pitch or alter the transfers correctly ,even the exhaust port will need a right angle high speed micro grinder to do it right ,can you gain some horsepower power from a template ,sure! but it takes alot of cylinders research and time to get the results a good builder can get you. a good right angle grinder with no bits is over 800$.theres a big difference in going quicker and going really fast . if you raise your exhaust port and dont rework the transfers your blowdown will be way outta whack and down on power .

not knocking anyones idea or shade tree port and theres nothing wrong with experimenting but you can have the fanciest cleaneast looking symmetrical intakes around but its not gonna make your banshee much faster ,the intake is not where the bulk of the power is gonna be made,without the right tool and more importantly the know how your not gonna get deep inside/behind and change the pitch or alter the transfers correctly ,even the exhaust port will need a right angle high speed micro grinder to do it right ,can you gain some horsepower power from a template ,sure! but it takes alot of cylinders research and time to get the results a good builder can get you. a good right angle grinder with no bits is over 800$.theres a big difference in going quicker and going really fast . if you raise your exhaust port and dont rework the transfers your blowdown will be way outta whack and down on power .

Well put.

It takes the right tools and the know-how to do it correctly. I just screw around more than anything. Trying different combos of stuff until I find something I like... I just get bored sometimes and go after a set of cylinders and see what happens.

No but is the easiest to snap a pic of! :yelrotflmao:

RIPPEN

Yep! I could take pics of the transfers and stuff I've done in there or the exhaust, but you wouldn't really be able to see much. LOL Intake is just easy for pics, like rippen said. :beer:

No payment is necessary. I will scan them and send them to you. You have to make sure you print them @ 100% and on some kind of stiff card stock or something. Sent you a message.

[size=2Hi I am from South Africa, diffucult to get someone porting your banshee here. If it is possible can you mail me the templates as well. I wil pay you if i had to.

Thank you

Porting, like some said is like art. Just some people can do it, engine builders dont give their secrets away, because it is years of research, trail & error. I have done some porting over the years, on RD/RZ350 and RGV250. I am not an expert, still learning, mess up some and had really great results. Like i said trail & error is the way, but its expensive. Go to www.macdizzy.com, that guy knows what his talking about. Step by step porting instuctions on 2 strokes, they work, done them myself, but a lot of Maths, there you can see how much calculations is in porting. Porting should go with the pipes you have on youre setup. I am from South Africa not easy to get someone who knows what they are doing on the banshees. I am going to do the porting myself on a extra set of cylinders. If any one can send me templates i will appriciate it. Wont neccesary use them, just want to find my way. A Graham Bell has a good book 2 stroke performance tunning, a lot off stuff there will also help.

My spelling is not very good, cause i am not english.

The secret is in the exhaust port height and the transfer heights and angles, there is were the power lies. Get a set off V Force 3 reeds, with good porting you will be amazed by what differance it make, even on a non ported motror with pipes.

Just my opinion and experience.

I read on the net somewhere a while back that the rough surface in the port creates turbulance that helps with the atomization of the air/fuel mixture after it goes through the carb. Polishing a 2 stroke could hinder performance. It was an article from a guy working on his blaster engine. Maybe someone else read this too?

this is true.... the intake isnt smooth and polished becasue it helps the atomization process of the fuel...

I believe that the intake benefits from turbulance but the exhaust ports get polished

indeed....

ppl dont think about how much time builders put into making there motors run... they have damaged many motors before they become builders, anyone can grind with a dremel tool and charge you money but a builder has the tools to do it right and have customers not straglers paying for their service.. there is a reason builder have ppl coming back time after time. they have the experiance and the proper tools to do the job right...like rocketboy said "theres a big difference in going quicker and going really fast " if you want it done right send it to a builder... the tools cost well over 1200 bucks for the bits drills and motor to run those things... they arnt your everyday dremel tools...

Yes I will send a copy of the templates to all who have sent me a message. I have been working a lot of extra hours this week so I havn't had time to dig them out. I will look for them tomorrow and scan them in. After I do that I will send out the e-mails. I will NOT be taking payment for this. The e-mail will include the templates, general instructions and the specific instructions. This is a Racelogic stage II Fast Trail port template. I did the cylinders in about 10 hours. I have not done the transfers yet and not had the head milled yet. The hardest part of the job was cutting thru the cylinder wall. The soft aluminum of the casting is quite easy to cut thru. Just take your time and it will turn out great. I could definately feel a difference in the throttle responce and the powerband. (I use the green powerbands)