Got Long Travel?

yamiboy

OK IM LOOKIN TO UPGRADE MY SUSPENSION COME TAX RETURN TIME. NOW I HAVE READ ENOUGH TO KNOW THAT I WANT LONG TRAVEL OVER STANDARD TRAVEL. MY QUESTION IS TO YOU SUSPENSION GURU'S.

DOES THE SAME COMPANIES THAT MAKE STANDARD TRAVEL SUSPENSION MAKE LONG TRAVEL OR DOES ONLY A FEW DO THAT?

FROM EVERYONES EXPERIENCE AND KNOWLEDGE WHICH COMPANY IS THE BEST FAR AS QUALITY FOR THE PRICE?

HOW MUCH MORE AM I LOOKIN AT FOR LONG TRAVEL OVER STANDARD?

OK THIS IS WHAT I HAVE NOW THAT I HAVE ASKED THESE QUESTIONS. IVE GOT AN 02' YAMAHA BANSHEE. STOCK SUSPENSION AND MOSTLY STOCK MOTOR(PIPES, AIR FILTER, BOOST BOTTLE THATS IT FOR NOW) IM BUILDING IT FOR RUNNING ACROSS THE DESERT MORE THAN SAND RIDING. I RIDE SAND ABOUT 4 TO 5 TRIPS OUT OF THE YEAR AND THE REST IS DESERT. SO I WANT SOMETHING THATS GONNA HOLD UP TO THE POUNDING OF THE DESERT.

NOW THAT I HAVE ASKED THIS QUESTION I HAVE ANOTHER.

SHOCKS.... WHICH ONES ARE THE BEST FOR MY SET-UP AND WHAT I WANT TO DO WITHT HE BIKE?

I KNOW THAT THE TRIPLE RATE ARE BETTER THAN THE DUAL RATE BUT WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THEM AND WHAT DOES THE RATES MEAN?

I KNOW REZZIES ARE GREAT BUT ARE THEY WORTH WHAT YOU PAY EXTRA FOR THEM?

MY GOAL IS TO TRY AND GET THE BEST LONG TRAVEL SET UP FOR MY LIKING AND TO SPEND CLOSE TO $1500 FOR EVERYTHING. NO MORE THAN $2K FOR IT THOUGH.

THANKS FOR ANY INFO GIVIN.

RICH

Good Luck on spending around $1500, a lobo II kit for a banshee without shocks is around 2000 with shocks around 3000-3500 depending apon the shocks. I'd check into Janssen Racing,and metal craft, (they have a small ad in the back of dirtwheels). My buddy runs there long travel on his 450. Gibson makes a killer lookin set. My outlaw roller that I started building was using LSR DC-4 arms and they looked badass just never got a chance to ride on them but they were also for a 250r frame not sure about a shee.

Anthor questions is do you want a long travel with 19in shocks or a long travel with 16in shocks.

If your run 19in. shocks they only come in quad-rate set-ups, elka and custom axis and peps and tcs are your only choices. Both my bikes that had long travel used custom axis shocks. Any more questions just pm or email me.

also triple rates arent necessarily 'better' than dual rates.

I have dual rate AXIS and triple rate PEP's and the axis aremuch better.

(although the PEP's were still outstanding)

you'll be hard pressed to find many shee's running long travel- the width of the frame in thefont really limits it...especially if you are looking to stay under MX width guidelines.

if the bike was anything other than a banshee LT would be the way to go...but for a shee its reall aton moremoney and the performace can be closetomatched with a well tuned std. travel setup for much less IMO

either way- you'll love the difference any setup makes

I KNOW THAT THE TRIPLE RATE ARE BETTER THAN THE DUAL RATE BUT WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THEM AND WHAT DOES THE RATES MEAN?

I KNOW REZZIES ARE GREAT BUT ARE THEY WORTH WHAT YOU PAY EXTRA FOR THEM?

MY GOAL IS TO TRY AND GET THE BEST LONG TRAVEL SET UP FOR MY LIKING AND TO SPEND CLOSE TO $1500 FOR EVERYTHING. NO MORE THAN $2K FOR IT THOUGH.

THANKS FOR ANY INFO GIVIN.

RICH

the dual rate with rates of 147/210 compare to the triple rate system which has rates of 133/171/260. the triple rate is 10% plusher for the first third of the wheel travel, and still over 20% stiffer than the dual rate for the last third of the wheel travel. Actually, if the triple rate starts out with a 133# per inch rate and finishes with a 260# per inch rate it has almost a 100% stiffer rate from beginning to end vs. the 45% dual rate change. This means that it will be super plush on the top part of wheel travel and even more resistant to bottoming out on the bottom bit of wheel travel.

The shock is exactly the same valving, travel, spring set, etc. The only difference is the non reservoir (non rezzy) design has the oil and gas mixed together and the reservoir design (rezzy) keeps the oil and gas totally separate.

The purpose of the rezzys is to give the heat in the shock a "radiator" location to dissipate faster. This causes the shocks to run at a lower temperature and the oil will last longer and require less rebuilds than the non rezzy design.

The first purpose is to separate the oil and gas. A gas/oil emulsion shock operates with the oil mixed with thousands of tiny nitrogen gas bubbles floating about. So your valving piston has oil with "compressable" bubbles running through it and the reservoir design has undisturbed oil running through it. This leads to more consistent damping action especially for long MX or XC racing.

The second purpose is for slightly more oil capacity for additional heat absorption/radiation.

'The reservoirs are by no means mandatory for high performance, rather they are definitely worth the money if you can swing it. For the very hard core MX or XC racers, they are indeed important.

its hard to find a good triple in the shorter body, most of us use doubles, for the cash you want to spend you could get some great shocks and arms, but to cross the desert fast, you'll need to at least rebuild the rear shock.....

i plan to revalve teh shock and extend the axle but that comes next year at the next tax return time.

going front first then the back. cant quite afford to do both at the same time.

rich

• 4 weeks later...

ive got about $1100 in my front end, used am star a arms and new PEP ZPS shocks and about $650 in my rear end with a new lone star axle and a used PEP ZPS shock in rear. it aint cheap at all

also you can find a good triple rate in std travel. the answer is PEP. i dont know if AXIS is better then PEP or PEP better then AXIS but i do really believe that triple rate is better then dual rate no matter what you ride.

I personally like PEP becuase if it takes 3 months to get them becuase your on a waiting list they must be good. Wayne Mooradin builds every set of shocks custom and takes his time and also used very high quality products. and alot of pros use them and they are the same exact shocks while i think that the AXIS the pros use cost them a sh*tload more then they cost you. also, the PEPS are much cheaper. by over $200! that did it for me right there.

• 2 weeks later...

PEP is just revalved works. The only way your going to get long travel suspension from a banshee is to run a honda 250r geometry based frame. This frame isn't cheap and requires extensive mods..even the wiring harness is diffrent. There are a few routs you can go. Lonestar's outlaw chasis requires the huse of honda spindles and such, Roll design's lobo chasis is very expensive but top of the line.about 5-6 grand just for a rolling chasis..then there is leager. I don't know much about leager except that they use a special airbox moved further to the rear and require a special wiring harness due to the cdi being mounted behing the gas tank. Your looking at no less then 8 grand alone for any of these chasis. Long travel is great..but very expensive.

actually i found "long travel" from one company alreay i dont know how true the "long travel" is but they advertise 13" travel. so i plan on lookin into this company to see if its what they are saying.

banshee long travel

look at the bottom of the site page.

its all about research boys, the more research the better the product youll come out with and the better the set up will be. if i cant find long travel ill have other ideas and knowledge for a great suspension set up for myself.

rich

PEP is just revalved works. The only way your going to get long travel suspension from a banshee is to run a honda 250r geometry based frame. This frame isn't cheap and requires extensive mods..even the wiring harness is diffrent. There are a few routs you can go. Lonestar's outlaw chasis requires the huse of honda spindles and such, Roll design's lobo chasis is very expensive but top of the line.about 5-6 grand just for a rolling chasis..then there is leager. I don't know much about leager except that they use a special airbox moved further to the rear and require a special wiring harness due to the cdi being mounted behing the gas tank. Your looking at no less then 8 grand alone for any of these chasis. Long travel is great..but very expensive.

PEP just revalved works huh?? haha thats the stupidest thing ive ever heard. for awhile when they first started they used the same bodies that works do but now they switched. they were never works shocks :rolleyes: