Check Out The Bansheehq Chat Room

fixitrod

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you guys even know what your downloading?

'Somehting to do with Java'?

I don't install anything unless I know what it does.

Sounds like an applet, but any web app that requires me to run it's code locally is a poorly constucted app.

JMHO.

efward:

Just so you know I would NEVER EVER upload some junk to my server/site.

One of those files is from http://java.sun.com/ and the other is directly from mickysofts website. Microsoft stopped bundling the JRE with XP and 2000, You can not run any java files w/i this installed.

I was in. I will have to wait for RZ to get back in. Oh well. I remember trying to get Meat in there awhile ago. I don't knw WTF is up with his computer. I always used MiRC, and never had a problem. The wierd thing is, when I try to click links to chats, they NEVER work. I don;'t know why. I click Rod's link, it don't work. Red X boxes and shit. BUT, I can get in through MiRC.

Just so you know I would NEVER EVER upload some junk to my server/site.

One of those files is from http://java.sun.com/ and the other is directly from mickysofts website. Microsoft stopped bundling the JRE with XP and 2000, You can not run any java files w/i this installed.

Not saying you would, but that download is not just a java runtime environment. I've done java development for over 5 years so I have several JREs on my local computers. Whatever is in that download is a set of custom classes or a java archive that could do just about anything.

If you don't believe me, I'll put together a little .jar file that requires download from one of my sites and say that is verified by Mickymouse Inc.

Want to install it?

I'm wary of these things because I have seen first hand how the java security provisions for applet code can be manipulated - or maybe I'm just a cynic.

efward;

Both of those files are untouched from their makers..... If they are not JRE's then what are they?

j2re-1_3_1_01-win.exe is from java.sun and is a direct replacement for MS's JRE. Yes its an older version, but still works w/o any problems

msjavx86.exe was taken right from MS's site to enable java applications in XP/2K.

Now I'm not saying I am some PC wiz or anything.. but in all the PC's Ive built in the last year... any of them requiring the use of any java related files would not work until either of those files were installed.

If you know of a JRE that is JUST that and nothing more... I would be interested in it. I would be willing to bet its from Java.sun or MS.com........

I would just like to know why its not working for some others here... Ive never had a problem using IRC,, and java is just a pita..

Meat: I just got finished building 2 more pc's both w/ XP and on a cable connection behind a hardware & software firewall... I was able to join chat via java and IRC w/o any and I mean ANY problems.

If RZ is not in chat then the room is java only since you will be unable to join an un-managed channel through mIRC.

ROFL Meat!!!! I feel your pain man, sometimes it seems like no matter what you do Windows has a personal vandetta against you and won't budge...keep trying! I got that same screen the first time, but after a minute I got a popup saying to download something and then it worked...yeah I know big help but I might add one thing: don't EVER get in a hurry using XP, it takes it's sweet damn time (I'm convinced it can detect frustration and runs slower the more it pisses you off)...maybe see if you can get that screen and give it a minute or twenty...

BTW I've been there the last few days and it's awesome talkin' to these guys, I don't consider myself much of a conversationalist but I was laffin' the whole time (I might have even got Brooke a little worked up last night, hehe)...

Both of those files are untouched from their makers..... If they are not JRE's then what are they?

It's client side code. You download a class file or an archive of them, you go to the site with the applet tag and your browser invokes the client side code. It runs in the java virtual machine on your computer.

The point is: the fact that you need a runtime environment means that you are executing code locally, which in general web terms, is a bad idea.

I'm sure everything is kosher with it, but it could all have been done server side and never require a download at all.

Bump... sorry I hate looing through pages to find this.

when you have the chat page on your screen, save it as a favorite so you dont have to go look for it, just look into your favorites and its there, you dont even have to log on to the hq ;)