Jetting and fuel mix ratio questions...

Hi, I recently bought an 01 banshee. I believe the motor is stock and it has t5s on it and air pods(k&n style). As far as I know, those are the only aftermarket mods. 

My questions are, 1) whats the fuel mix ratio recommended by Toomey for t5s and 2) when I get into the carbs, where should I start with jetting? Also, as this is a stock motor, do I need to do this plug chop thing? Sorry if this topic is a dead horse, just new to dialing in the carbs and idle and all that. I had a banshee before, a brand new 2003 and I left it stock, so I never did any of this stuff to it. Thanks for any info yall. 

I always recommend using the same premix and ratio as the previous owner, but it isn't imperative.

Your elevation and temp would play a part in recommending proper jetting.

That being said, 300 main and 27.5 pilot should be close.

It's easier to give advise if you would tell us what is in it and what leads you to believe it would need to be changed.

And, No, a plug chop is never necessary.

@hoppedupandcutdown, thanks. I dont know what the previous owner used. Im going to start with a 280 main and 25 pilot as that is what Toomey suggests for the t5s. I will find out whats in the carbs tomorrow when I take them apart to clean them. My elevation is around 500ft and temp is cool to mild right now. Toomey says that the 280 main is good up to 2500ft and even into warmer temps. Cold temps, drop to 270 main. I will open them up and find out if I need to order jets. Thanks for the info. @Keno,thanks. Im going to start there at 40:1, thanks. 

1 hour ago, hot piccolo said:

@hoppedupandcutdown, thanks. I dont know what the previous owner used. Im going to start with a 280 main and 25 pilot as that is what Toomey suggests for the t5s. I will find out whats in the carbs tomorrow when I take them apart to clean them. My elevation is around 500ft and temp is cool to mild right now. Toomey says that the 280 main is good up to 2500ft and even into warmer temps. Cold temps, drop to 270 main. I will open them up and find out if I need to order jets. Thanks for the info. @Keno,thanks. Im going to start there at 40:1, thanks. 

In colder temps you'll need a bigger main, not a smaller one, unless you want to burn it up.  Colder temps=bigger jets, and warmer temps=smaller jets.

• Like 1

On 3/27/2020 at 8:39 PM, hot piccolo said:

The Fuel/oil mix ratio will also affect your jetting. More oil in the fuel, the leaner the air/fuel ratio is going to be and vice versa. Less oil, richer air/fuel ratio.

On March 26, 2020 at 7:42 PM, hot piccolo said:

Hi, I recently bought an 01 banshee. I believe the motor is stock and it has t5s on it and air pods(k&n style). As far as I know, those are the only aftermarket mods. 

My questions are, 1) whats the fuel mix ratio recommended by Toomey for t5s and 2) when I get into the carbs, where should I start with jetting? Also, as this is a stock motor, do I need to do this plug chop thing? Sorry if this topic is a dead horse, just new to dialing in the carbs and idle and all that. I had a banshee before, a brand new 2003 and I left it stock, so I never did any of this stuff to it. Thanks for any info yall. 

I build a lot of banshees and a plug chop is always a good idea unless you have a dyno with an afr (air fuel ratio sensor) without it you are guessing your ratios. A plug chop will show a soot ring at the base of the plug measure it with a digital caliper if it is 2mm it is prefect smaller lean bigger rich.