Clutch Basket and Gear Play

I'll prob be hanging onto my Banshee so I decided to freshen up the clutch today. I noticed that there is play between the basket and gear as seen in the vid? Is this normal? It's been so long since I pulled one of these part I can't remember. The basket and pressure plate looks amazing otherwise and the bike has very few hours on it so I'm guessing so but I don't remember my other bikes having play like this.

glu7CxA.gif

most people replace the bushings behind the clutch basket to eliminate the play, but man did I ever have a hard time removing the backing plate on a basket before, i destroyed the basket drilling the rivets out but thats because my drill walked, a drill press would be ideal.  honestly ive read of people just leaving like that and that the have noticed no difference in having play or not, but if it were me I would just drill the rivets out, remove the gear and buy a billet basket for 160 from chariot and call it good.

Edited by Ayesully810

Thanks, I think I've been riding it like this for a while and everything else looks tight. How about the cushion ring? Clymer's shows a rubber ring behind the first friction plate up against the basket. I don;t ever remember installing one of those before and I don't have one now. Its been a while...... lol.

ya apparently if you are using a stock clutch setup you have to use those (ive never used a stock clutch) something to do with clutch chatter if i remember right

if you are buying new (not oem) they wont even come with them therefore just do fiber steel fiber steel etc

24 minutes ago, trickedcarbine said:

That thing is toast. The cushions are gone. Also, The marks on the inside of the clutch basket fingers are pretty bad. If they’ll hang up a finger nail, they’ll mess with the clutch action. Time for an upgrade. 

The grooves look worse in the pics than they are. They clutch action is still smooth and I can barely feel them. I've worked on bikes that have had way worse so I'm not too worried about them.

It's been a while since I parted a bike out but I remember all stock baskets having this play in them. Can't remember 100% though.

Normally I wouldn't be opposed to doing some upgrades but I'll never ride this shee again. I've moved on to other hobbies.

EDIT: Should have searched. Seems some play is normal. 

Edited by LiftdT4R

2 hours ago, LiftdT4R said:

The grooves look worse in the pics than they are. They clutch action is still smooth and I can barely feel them. I've worked on bikes that have had way worse so I'm not too worried about them.

It's been a while since I parted a bike out but I remember all stock baskets having this play in them. Can't remember 100% though.

Normally I wouldn't be opposed to doing some upgrades but I'll never ride this shee again. I've moved on to other hobbies.

EDIT: Should have searched. Seems some play is normal. 

There should be no play between drive gear and basket. The cushions are gone. It's not far from catastrophic failure.

As least buy a good used basket with no cushion wear.

You can take an MOV on your iphone and convert it to a free GIF online. Then post it up to imgur and use the [IMG ] tags like a regular image.

Rookie mistake. I should have read some more searched threads. There seems to be a 50 - 50 split in old threads between some play and no play. Some folks say no play. Others say 1/4" is ok. There are even some reports saying that Hinson baskets have 1/4" play in them after only a few hours. I thought some play was normal and it seems like most of the shees I've worked on have play in them but I've only ever worked on stock baskets. This shee doesn't have a ton of hours on it but the basket is original from 2001. Maybe 150 from the original owner and 20 from me.

I'll probably end up changing it out, the $160 for a basket doesn't bother me but those rivets look like they'll be a *&$%! to grind off!

Did you go the drill press route or did you take an angle grinder to them?

I have a billet basket with gear and everything ready to go if interested. A couple of the arms have a little wear, but most have none. Kind of weird actually. Cushions are good.

$120 shipped

67ecd4caf947edb2add3590d48205ff4.jpg
8f09027ce7121a8c08d433e5601894b3.jpg
9ca27c8826e72f94a1468da183883557.jpg