Sending Motor Out

So...im going to treat myself to some performance engine work i have a few questions: ....

#1 im wondering how u guys go about shipping your motor out...i dont really know where to start...ive got around 1750$ to spend on my motor, but i dont really know what i should do....i like low end power....i have t5’s on it...wildcard racing jugs ported and polished (stock bore), wiseco pistons, a timing plate, k&n style open filters...

#2 has anyone ever just told a builder their budget, shipped their motor and said “go nuts” within my budget? Anyone just let the builder do the modding they think is best?

i do trail and sandpit riding mostly.....my bike is fast as it is, but i dont have too many toys, and i want this to be like my ongoing project...

thanx

You have a budget which is good.  Now, plan on going over your budget a bit or a lot lol.  Honestly though, contact one of the site sponsors and talk to them.  Let them know what you already have, what you're looking for, and how much you have to spend.  That would be the first place to start.  No point packing everything up only to find out you're not going to be able to have anything done within your budget that suits your needs.  Get a hold of FAST, Redline, or Driveline, just to name a few and all site sponsors, and talk with them.  If you are stuck to that budget they should be able to tell you what can be done for the money and will do their best to maximize the return for you.

As for the packaging of your motor, get yourself like a 30gal cooler that is the right dimensions to fit your motor in.  When sizing don't forget to factor in packaging material!  You'll want to wrap the motor up good in a junk blanket, bubble wrap, or what ever is soft and will protect the motor and not let it slide/bang around inside the cooler when shipped.  Don't skimp on the packing material when shipping your motor, the shipping companies don't give a rats ass what's inside and will toss that thing around like a rag doll so pack your motor up good!

Just sent my motor to Redline, used a 35 gallon rugged cooler and have about 4" of bubble wrap surrounding everything.  Picked it up, shook the living shit out of it listening for any movement or noises.  Once you can pick it up, shake it and not hear any noises you should have it packaged well enough to survive the trip.

Hope that helps you out some.

Tony

I personally use a Rubbermaid tote. I buy a shit ton of the cheapest paper towel rolls. Line them all up on the bottom to create a good cushion. Put motor in. Then fill in the gaps with more towel rolls and whatever else. Put lid on. Drill holes through the lid on the outer rim where the two meet and put zip ties  through to hold the lid down. I’ll also tape it a lot going around and around continuously to secure the lid  if the zip ties fail. Been shipping out motors that way for years now with no issues. I also keep the plugs in the motor just barely hand tight. To protect the head ect from any force. Good luck. The cooler idea seems good too. Either way package with care and don’t skimp on it. 

• Like 1

Bluebanshee98 is more in line with what I was saying, Rubbermaid totes work great!  Here is a link to the one I used, very sturdy bottom and sides and I could use a metal exhaust wrap clamp to lock the handle shut, along with a bunch of tape......... https://www.google.com/search?tbm=shop&q=ActionPacker®+Storage+Box+-+35+gal#spd=2391901841379805134  Drilling the holes and using zip ties to secure the lid along with cheap rolls of paper towels for packing material are also great and cheap suggestions! 

Tony

The coolers are OK, but if you really want the assurance the motor isn't being knocked around you need to get a mobile job box. They are on wheels and have a handle for the delivery guys so they are a lot nicer about moving it. It costed me a little under $200 to go between Cali and Michigan.

With your budget, I'd say get everything set up for a 4mil. Porting, domes, and the crank. Maybe some SLP's if you're really serious about the early power band. The Toomey's are a touch lazy to come on compared to other trail pipes. But I'd agree with Gusto on making sure the suspension is up to snuff first. c54043277519b1d41bf373267bff15bf.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just had my motor built by Redline.  Cam was great to work work with to figure out what you can do within your budget, although I went way over budget because my existing 4 mil crank and clutch were bad.  I thought the money I spent on the actual labor to do all the work he did was a bargain and the cost of parts that I got through him was very reasonable.

I would do the +4 crank and porting with some stroker domes, a billet clutch basket and new clutch with lockout.  Keep in mind if he finds some things in the trans that need replacement it could be a few more $.  I'd think you'd be looking at around $1600 which might leave just enough for shipping.

I had a 421 LP setup from Driveline with SLP pipes and stock carbs (ran 35s on it too) and it was a beast for low end power.  Roll into 4th gear wheelies all day.  

Youd need a 4 mil crank and their top end (800 bucks)  that would keep you around your 1750 budget with some wiggle room for a clutch upgrade or small shifting mods (not a full tranny job) You can also sell existing stuff like your crank pistons and jugs if you wanna off set the cost of what you actually have to spend.  

Edited by Ayesully810