Dads Banshee

nj2016

I told my dad I went to a Banshee Forum and he told me about a problem he is having with his bike to see if a solution could be found without taking it to a shop. As far as I know his bike has no engine work done to it just FMF Gold series pipes/silencers, still has TORS if I remember right, runs pump gas. He said it does fine at the low end, starts building up to the top end fine, then just bogs down really bad at the top end. I suggested taking apart the carbs and cleaning them, he said he put SeaFoam thru them, but I don't know anything about that stuff. Any tips or insight would be appreciated.

19 minutes ago, PaymentPlan said:

Was it running fine then randomly the bog issue started to arise?

I just got more information from him. It was running fine, then he let it sit for a few months, went to start it up and ran bad so he took apart the carbs and cleaned them, that is when the problem started. Another problem is that if he lets bike more than 20 min he has to use starting fluid even on a warm day. Once started it idles well.

If he did not "clean" the jets, physically clean them not spray them with carb or brake cleaner, then there is probably some crap left in there. Get a set of torch cleaners and run the closest sized cleaner through all the jets, soak the carb bodies in carb dip over night, blow out ALL passages with compressed air, follow with aerosol solvent to remove any remaining carb dip, let air dry and reassemble with new float needle and seat assemblies and bowl gaskets. and get rid of the #%@&(*$ tors...

2 hours ago, Larry's Shee said:

I would not use tip cleaners, they are mini files. Berrymans carb dip works good . I like to blow compresses air booth ways through any passage. 

Also pull the main jet holder/emulsion tube, there's little holes on side of that.

If I was running the tip cleaner in a drill or dremel I would worry... but the little bit of abrasion from the hand work will not increase or decrease fuel flow to any measurable degree.