2005 Banshee MX Project

Mackington

It was fun to see your build come together, me and my bro inlaw have very similar mx/woods setups his is almost identical other than the engine setup (not sure if your rear tires rub the nerfs a bit too like my bro's as they are very close), I am not crazy about the alba built in heal guards, as it makes it very acward to kick and with a -1 swing it rubs 20" tire and limits the tires as far as paddle tires go. I run mx nerfs with no gads but that might be a bit dangers, we will see i gess

That said fun watching your build and see how you changed it up to best suit you and your riding area, it was like building them all over in a more fun fun way watching someone else drain there pocket book for a change

Edited by Canada

Yfz 450 front dual piston calipers bolt right up if you ditch the dust shield and they 08+ yfz front master cylinder is an upgrade to the banshee master cylinder. Steel lines will be a help as well if you don’t already have them. All told with used calipers with good pads and the master cylinder it costs about $100~ to do.

3 minutes ago, Canada said:

It was fun to see your build come together, me and my bro inlaw have very similar mx/woods setups his is almost identical other than the engine setup (not sure if your rear tires rub the nerfs a bit too like my bro's as they are very close), I am not crazy about the alba built in heal guards, as it makes it very acward to kick and with a -1 swing it rubs 20" tire and limits the tires as far as paddle tires go. I run mx nerfs with no gads but that might be a bit dangers, we will see i gess

That said fun watching your build and see how you changed it up to best suit you and your riding area, it was like building them all over in a more fun fun way watching someone else drain there pocket book for a change

Thanks man!! It's been fun but definitely not cheap lmao. Glad I took a ton of pics along the way this time.

As much as I like them my tires BARLEY clear these Alba nerf bars with the -1 swing arm. I plan on getting the XFR ones soon with the heel plates since I keep breaking peg bolts and inserts on the frame haha:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/182963894986

https://www.jdscustoms.com/product/yamaha-banshee-peg-thread-inserts/

Those XFR's have the extra mounting points on the heel guards to take pressure off of the peg bolts. The "pegs" that come with the XFR's are also solid steel compared to the hollow tube Alba has. We'll see how it goes!

I plan on completely overhauling the frame next winter as well. Weld in new threaded peg inserts, weld in gusset kit, hack off old brake line brackets, candy blue powder coating etc. I've got a blue IMS 5.6 Gallon tank on the way as well. The clear one was cool but decals don't stick to it at all and 100% blue will look nice! Also toying with the idea of running DC conversion eventually for some better lighting and maybe some sort of info cluster with sensors. Also need to check out brake mods! I guess YFZ calipers offer better braking performance in the front and I've seen folks install Brembo calipers on the rear.

More pics to come! and videos as well I promise haha.

17 minutes ago, Buckeye513 said:

Yfz 450 front dual piston calipers bolt right up if you ditch the dust shield and they 08+ yfz front master cylinder is an upgrade to the banshee master cylinder. Steel lines will be a help as well if you don’t already have them. All told with used calipers with good pads and the master cylinder it costs about $100~ to do.

Cool good to know! If i end up doing any brake mods i'll be sure to take pics.

Info is correct for YFZ calipers but you can use an 07 and up master cylinder. 06-07 was the transition year. Go ahead and do a standard length yfz steel braided brake line setup as well because why tf not? Sand the pads with 100 grit sandpaper if they’re within a useable range.

Alba nerfs aren’t my favorite. Factory 43 and AC MX are extremely good nerfs. They move the pegs down and back. It further complements the +1 forward arms and -1” swingarm. You’ll want a blaster shifter though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can lock the front tires up with a stock setup, but you’ll want the extra power on an MX track because us easier to lock them up. It’s a non-issue until atm pump kicks in.

Yea I definitely need to adjust the rear shock after installing the -1 swingarm. Fronts likely need adjusting as well. I got these new as a set valved for my weight but have yet to adjust them. Every now and again it'll bottom out on jumps lol.

Ehh... Elka is reputably bad at setting shocks up. Set tire pressure, set ride height, set alignment, set compression, set rebound.

3 hours ago, tfaith08 said:

Ehh... Elka is reputably bad at setting shocks up. Set tire pressure, set ride height, set alignment, set compression, set rebound.

Now that I think about it Alba Racing set them up if that matters. Currently looking for threads on Elka initial setup for Legacy 3's.

Now that I think about it Alba Racing set them up if that matters. Currently looking for threads on Elka initial setup for Legacy 3's.

They should be the same for all shocks. PM me if you need help.

Alba doesn’t set them up. They just send the numbers and Elka builds them. The v
alving is usually off.

On 4/19/2018 at 5:05 PM, tfaith08 said:

Alba doesn’t set them up. They just send the numbers and Elka builds them. The v
alving is usually off.

Good to know! I set the ride height correctly last night. Excited to see the difference soon. Right now it's on a lift waiting for other parts haha. Making some changes soon! The Blue XFR Nerf bars just got delivered to replace the Alba's, I found a used blue IMS 5.6 tank to replace clear one, and I will be swapping my swingarm out. I ordered the TT / Lightweight one from JL Engineering by mistake so I've got the correct MX one on the way!

More pics soon!