AC-delco, Craftsman, Snap-on compression test

thought i would share the drastic difference between a quality compression gauge vs others on the market.

the bike:

98 banshee 

fresh 421 assassin low ports

33mm pwk's

vf4 reeds

cpi inframe

noss head 18cc domes

+4 timing

the gauges:

ac delco from orielly. 24.99

craftsman from sears. 47.99

snap-on eepv500. 234.99

current elevation 6500ft.

where i ride 7000ft.

all tests were done one after another on an engine that ran for about 5 minutes to pull it out of the trailer to garage, both plugs out, throttle WO, kicked until gauge stopped climbing.

estimated compression from driveline 170psi for 110

First test was with the ac delco: about 15 kicks until gauge stopped right on 140 psi 

second test was with the craftsman: about 15 kicks until gauge stopped at 155 psi

third test was with the snap-on: about 15 kicks until gauge stopped at 165 psi

the difference concerns me a little due to the fact that if i would have ran fuel appropriate for 140 psi i would have probably had serious detonation and could have hurt motor easily.

i am sure this has been posted before but just thought it would help out others. i didnt have a snapon, but i easily found one to borrow for an afternoon. if you are in a similar position to what i was, take a day to find someone to help you out with a good compression gauge.

• Like 2

When I did my engine, Billmtold me I should have about 145psi. So when i tested it with my canadian tire gauge, I got 135lbs. So I went to an autopart store I bought a 200$ gauge. It was reading something like 137psi...

So I give back the 200$ gauge to the store.

if it would have a big gap, I would keep the 200$ gauge, but since it was 2 psi....

But usually quality goes with higher price.

thought i would share the drastic difference between a quality compression gauge vs others on the market.

the bike:

98 banshee

fresh 421 assassin low ports

33mm pwk's

vf4 reeds

cpi inframe

noss head 18cc domes

+4 timing

the gauges:

ac delco from orielly. 24.99

craftsman from sears. 47.99

snap-on eepv500. 234.99

current elevation 6500ft.

where i ride 7000ft.

all tests were done one after another on an engine that ran for about 5 minutes to pull it out of the trailer to garage, both plugs out, throttle WO, kicked until gauge stopped climbing.

estimated compression from driveline 170psi for 110

First test was with the ac delco: about 15 kicks until gauge stopped right on 140 psi

second test was with the craftsman: about 15 kicks until gauge stopped at 155 psi

third test was with the snap-on: about 15 kicks until gauge stopped at 165 psi

the difference concerns me a little due to the fact that if i would have ran fuel appropriate for 140 psi i would have probably had serious detonation and could have hurt motor easily.

i am sure this has been posted before but just thought it would help out others. i didnt have a snapon, but i easily found one to borrow for an afternoon. if you are in a similar position to what i was, take a day to find someone to help you out with a good compression gauge.

Cranking compression isn't the sole factor on picking fuel. Always know the calculated compression and use the cranking compression as an indicator of what the motor is doing inside.

You can have a motor built for race fuel, but have an exhaust large enough to let some volume pass. So the number may look lower on a gauge. But kudos to you for checking with multiple gauges.

• Like 1

Zilla is 100% correct. Were the tips all equal lengths between each comp tester? If not that will change readings quite a bit. Its best to use a tip the same length as the spark plug.

This. 

When we were getting funky compression readings at driveline trying to do dome swaps we ran into this. Once we used an adapter that was the same as a spark plug, we got 170 psi on the dot.  good write up either way, a quality compression reader will def read better. 

Gauges that use one hose and a bunch of different adaptors are not going to be real accurate.  The adaptor is hollow and that extra hollow space is added volume to the combustion chamber. Look at how much of a difference a cc or two makes when shopping for dome sizes. The same is said when doing a compression test. Snap on gauges with the proper hose has the Schrader valve in the very tip of the hose so there is no added volume.