Shift mods

JasonB

any input on the shift drum roller bearing mod? redline offers it in their pro-mod tranny package but FAST doesnt. I still havent heard back from REDLINE about the turn around time so i will probably send my tranny to FAST to do the pro-mod, i just had hoped to do the roller bearing drum mod since it was apart considering people say its a great mod to ad to the list. 

my goal is to make the tranny shift smooth whether i make 35hp or 90hp, i think im doing every possible mod to make it a happy dune/trail trail tranny 

O lord

It took me some times but here we go! ;-) lol!!

………………………………………._¸„„„„_

…………………….…………...„--~*'¯…….'\

………….…………………… („-~~--„¸_….,/ì'Ì

…….…………………….¸„-^"¯ : : : : :¸-¯"¯/'

……………………¸„„-^"¯ : : : : : : : '\¸„„,-"

**¯¯¯'^^~-„„„----~^*'"¯ : : : : : : : : : :¸-"

.:.:.:.:.„-^" : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : :„-"

:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.: : : : : : : : : : ¸„-^¯

.::.:.:.:.:.:.:.:. : : : : : : : ¸„„-^¯

:.' : : '\ : : : : : : : ;¸„„-~"

:.:.:: :"-„""***/*'ì¸'¯

:.': : : : :"-„ : : :"\

.:.:.: : : : :" : : : : \,

:.: : : : : : : : : : : : 'Ì

: : : : : : :, : : : : : :/

"-„_::::_„-*__„„~"

• Like 1

Cutting the dogs of the gear means less chance of miss shift from the dogs hitting each other. Your transmission only uses 3 dogs anyways, the 6 dogs just means less rotation before engagement.

The bearing on the drum is a plus. The OEM setup is just the drum sitting in the case. The only thing to help with wear and tear is oil. The bearing just helps with this. It does make the cam diameter thinner sbut this shouldn't be an issue. The bearing is doesn't have any con.

The shift star mod, makes the peaks rounded and the valleys have a better radius. With the roller bearing on the detent arm. If they star is modded wrong, it will cause issues. With a properly modded star and the detent arm, the bearing will sit perfectly in the valleys and easily roll over the peaks.

Notching the shifter arm means you can have more throw. More throw means the cam can turn more, Too much and you might skip a gear (never seen this), and not enough turn and you don't go over the peak.

These mods can improve shifting when they are done correctly. But all of these wont matter if everything else is fucked and worn out.

ya i totally understand the rest of the items at this stage, i was more so just looking for input on the shift drum bearing mod since it doesnt look to be something i've seen other people besides redline offer in their pro-mod package. I appreciate you spelling everything out in both of your posts though, i feel like i've learned a bunch just since i made this thread asking about the shifting issues this last week. Thanks man! 

any input on the shift drum roller bearing mod? redline offers it in their pro-mod tranny package but FAST doesnt. I still havent heard back from REDLINE

My promod was done by redline. It works fine but I'd never compared to "almost like an override". I do have to let off a decent to shift when the rpms are up but that's due to my slingshot. It works as I should.

If you got the time and money. Do the bearing on drum and promod. Wont hurt.

But if your curious, mod the star how I told you and put it back on. And watch what it changes.

Easy spring, detent or even shaft notch mod is useless.

Or you know what. Buy fuckin everything you can and mod fuckin everything. Cause it works better.

im not real sure if you're being a dick or what. I tore my bike apart sunday night and have the motor split right now. i am sending the tranny off to have the pro mod done, probably by FAST. They also do the shift start mod, mod the shift shaft too. I am modifying the Detent arm with a roller bearing on my own. Already have the pancake bearing. A new detent arm spring and some other basic wear items are on my list to order tomorrow along with the rest of the motor rebuild items. I want to find someone to modify the shift drum since its not on the FAST package for their $200 pro-mod, but as it is am doing every fucking thing i can think of while i have it apart. The bike should make over 60hp with the new top end and port work thats being done, i want to make sure i can shift this thing after i finish assembly and clutch tuning. 

Thanks for the help? 

• Like 1

I've never had a promod, neither does my buddy with a 90hp K&T 421. You could/can shift them just as fast as anything under a full load. Even K&T didn't recommend doing promod transmissions due to the fact if everything else is in good working order you wont see a benefit.

L. O. L......
  • Like 1

well i cant find shit about the shift drum bearing mod after searching around, doesnt look as common as i thought it was. Only thing that seemed to pop up about doing the mod was a thread on here discussing the tolerances to machine the drum shaft to and what bearing part number to use. sooooooo im probably not searching right or this actually isnt a real widely used mod? 

only thread i found about this mod. 

http://www.bansheehq.com/forums/index.php?/topic/165176-what-size-bearing-4-shift-drum-mod/

guess i will contact some vendors to see if i cant find someone to cut my drum for this. Redline hasnt called or emailed me back yet about doing my pro-mod, guessing they are probably swamped right now. 

well i cant find shit about the shift drum bearing mod after searching around, doesnt look as common as i thought it was. Only thing that seemed to pop up about doing the mod was a thread on here discussing the tolerances to machine the drum shaft to and what bearing part number to use. sooooooo im probably not searching right or this actually isnt a real widely used mod?

only thread i found about this mod.

http://www.bansheehq.com/forums/index.php?/topic/165176-what-size-bearing-4-shift-drum-mod/

guess i will contact some vendors to see if i cant find someone to cut my drum for this. Redline hasnt called or emailed me back yet about doing my pro-mod, guessing they are probably swamped right now.

Have you tired Joe molinari?

May cost a little more idk, but his work is top notch as well imo.

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk

Have you tired Joe molinari?

May cost a little more idk, but his work is top notch as well imo.

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk

thanks man i'll check him out! I called FAST and Cody said they'd probably charge about $50 for the drum mod on top of the 200 for the pro-mod. Depending on what Molinari wants i may just throw everything in a box for FAST tomorrow and call it a day. thanks for the suggestion