At Glamis, overheating like crazy

JasonB

Someone suggested I ditch the overflow bottle and run a line to my boot so I know when it's overheating or spitting coolant cause it's hot. That it won't be spitting coolant unless it's right before the point of hurting the motor and should be shut off. So I did that And it's just dribbling out the line non stop when the motor is running, I assumed it would lose some of the coolant to find a happy level with the coolant bottle removed from the system but it's just dripping out almost non stop. Just riding for 10 minutes I got the temp up to 245 on the gauge I have at the water outlet at the head. I lost a small amount of coolant looking into the rad it's about 3/4" below the opening for the cap so maybe only a few ounces? It seems to be slowly dribbling out whether it's hot or still warming up to operating temps.

I ran it earlier with the cap off the rad, it was fine ( not shooting out) but the level slowly raised over a few minutes as it got hot.

If I had a bad o ring on the head I would be losing coolant whether it was hot or not right?

once it cools down; pop the radiator cap and start it; see if the water is circulating. It could have melted or broke the water pump gear or impeller.

If it has sat a long time, the radiator could be clogged. When you pop the radiator cap off, look in the radiator and see if the passages are blocked at all.

Head gasket or oring could be bad which would cause a problem too.

Good luck,

Let us know what you find out.

With the cap off I can't tell the the fluid is circulating at all. It looks still. The radiator is one of those brand new oversized set ups and it gets hot as hell so I have to believe the motors circulating coolant through there. The water pump is a new high flow billet set up and it looked fine when we had the motor apart a month ago.

Check if your fuel line is bubbling up and has bubbles if you have a line that you can see through and check. With t bouncing around the choppy sand you could be getting pockets of air into the carb. Also if it's an o-ring in your cool head you'll see one side or both spitting out whiter than normal and little bits of water at the ends of them. You can also take your spark plug out and smell it or see that it's wet.

We stuck the stock radiator back on in place of the oversize unit. It had some aluminum shavings on the cap and we just figured it was a good idea to swap back to stock and see how it did. Headed out for a night ride to see how hot it gets

Ran real good for the night ride, I think the oversized rad might have had some blockages or issues cause the bike ran awesome out there tonight. Will update tomorrow after more runs.

Ran real good for the night ride, I think the oversized rad might have had some blockages or issues cause the bike ran awesome out there tonight. Will update tomorrow after more runs.

Sounds like you may have found your problem. Excellent! Now go enjoy that nice warm sand. Make a few passes for all of us up here in winter country. We're hoping the snow is all gone by the time St. Anthony opens on April 1.