Carbs for a 10 mil 465 cc Serval?

Craig B

It will make more power with 39PWK.

I don't doubt that a bit Tyler, I'm sure your right. I was just thinking about his woods ridability and usable low end power. You've got a lot more experience with big striker motors than I do so you know more about the way these motors react to bigger carbs than I do.

At one point in time I felt the same way about pipes. I thought a set of Hi Rev Inframe Drag Pipes would destroy usable lowend power and torque on my Serval so I ran PT's and choked it to death and made the power band so short and strong that that I had to run a 16T front sprocket in order to outrun 50cc mini quad! Lol

I was wrong there so I could be wrong here too. I was basing my recommendation off what I've been told about the 10 mil CP Power Plants that utilize the stock four bolt intakes and Reed cages. Have you ever heard about any problems with the 10 mils and standard four bolt intakes?

I don't know a lot about the riffleing mod for the actual banshee application but the guys that ran MX and Super Mini Dirt Bikes back in the day swore by the tapered riffle bore mod, but you know how strict the AMA rules are and the racers are looking for every little advantage they can get that will give them a head up on the competition. We're talking about the same guys that will spend $3,000 on a titanium bolt kits to save a few pounds.

I looked into having my modified and upgraded 32mm Mikuni TM's Tapered and Riffle Bored to 35mm when I was concidering building a 4 mil 421 Serval. A standard +3mm Taper Bore was $30 per carb and a +3mm Tapered Riffle Bore was $85 per carb. If I had went the 4 mil Serval rout I would have gave the +3 Tapered Riffle Bores a shot but I took a beating on them and sold them to Mike Morgan (Zilla Guy) when I decided to build a 10 mil trail motor.

Here's the 38mm Keihin PWK Air Strikers I'm running that have the Intel-A-Jet Fuel Induction System, Oversize Billet Fuel Bowls, Deep Well Sump Fuel Bowl Nuts, and few other mods that I'm running on my new 10 mil Cheetah.

IMG_0868_zpsd6bvgdca.jpg

IMG_4892_zps3ems8crf.jpg

IMG_4891_zpscreke8rm.jpg

I'd have one if UPP made a set of the big bore intakes that had the hook ups and a I could get my hands on a chamber that matched the engines displacement and the other specs on my motor. I like a boost bottle because it helps the engine aclamate to rapid changes in elevation over a short period of time. That and it helps hold the wiring harness, throttle cable, fuel lines, etc up away from the engine.

I know most people think the boost bottle is joke and I'm a joke for promoting running one but they can be benifital in the right application. That technology was actually developed by Yamaha to solve a issue they were having with a old two stroke sled as it changed elavations. For a true recreational trail rider they do offer some benefits that make running one make sense.

Let the hating begin. Lol

Edited by Thack82

Right, I'm not claiming the boost bottle aids any with horsepower gains although I did see some testing back about 6 years ago where a guy did some testing with DRI's Master Flow Intake with boost bottle VS DRI's Billet Intakes that were separated that showed a 1. something peak horsepower gain with the Masterfow Intake System but I've searched for that testing relentlessly several times since then with no luck. I'm almost positive Curtis Duncan at Duncan Racing did that testing and sent me that data in a email but I haven't been able to find it.

I either dreamed it or deleted the email because I can't find it.

Right, I'm not claiming the boost bottle aids any with horsepower gains although I did see some testing back about 6 years ago where a guy did with DRI's Master Flow Intake with boost bottle VS DRI's Billet Intakes that were separated that showed a 1. something peak horsepower gain with the Masterfow Intake System but I've searched for that testing relentlessly several times since then with no luck. I'm almost positive Curtis Duncan at Duncan Racing did that testing and sent me that data in a email but I haven't been able to find it.

I either dreamed it or deleted the email because I can't find it.

Edited by Thack82

He was the guy that helped me set up my old stock stroke Serval from Duncan Racing back when I ran the KORHS Series on my Banshee several years ago. I always assumed he was the owner or one of the owners of DRI but I don't know that sure.

Edited by Thack82

How exactly did Duncan help you set up this stock stroke Serval?

To my knowledge, there's never been a Curtis at Duncan Racing. Only Loren, Who owns the place, his sister Kevie who used to answer the phone, and Lorens' brother, Leonard Duncan who does tech support.

Lol I ain't hatin but I figured u would like a boost bottle

I thought a boost bottle was useless piece of trash until I rode at Wind Rock OHV without one. I went to Wind Rock in Tennessee with a couple of buddy's on Z400's and 400EX's for a weekend. We unloaded our bikes at a elavation around 1,200ft and rode up the side of that mountain five hours straight and when we finally hit the peak we were just over 7,000ft. I actually trashed my stock cylinder top end on that ride.

When I went back the next year I was running the Serval, DRI Masterflow Intake System with Boost Bottle, the Intel-A-Jet Fuel Induction System, and the Dynatek Digital Ignition and my bike made it through the entire weekend without any issues. I was able to adjust the main fuel circuit and digital timing curve periodically as the elevation increased. Those mods combined with the boost bottle determined if my bike was able to pull itself off the trailer under its own power or not when I got back home at 740ft above sea level. Wind Rock is brutal to say the least! It's by far the roughest most challenging terrain I've rode in to date. Ever trail we took was labeled 4X4 or wench required. It definitely helped me find any weak areas that I hadn't found yet or overlooked.

I've got UPP talked into casting me a red set of Big Bore Polyurethane Intakes with the Boost Bottle Ports but I haven't taken the time to do all the math, design, and fabricate a boost bottle out of aluminum that matches all the specs on my new power plant. A group of professors at a college university in Belfast have done all the testing and developed a specific formula and guidelines that need to be used when building a boost bottle chamber to match a specific motor and carburetor setup that I plan on using. I'll start a thread and keep you guys informed and post up the test results and data when I from start to finish when I start that project.

How exactly did Duncan help you set up this stock stroke Serval?

To my knowledge, there's never been a Curtis at Duncan Racing. Only Loren, Who owns the place, his sister Kevie who used to answer the phone, and Lorens' brother, Leonard Duncan who does tech support.

I give you my word, the guy that helped me that I talked to was Curtis Duncan. I'll see if I can dig up a email where we discussed some of the issues I was having with the power dead lining and falling off very fast screen shot it and post it up so you can see it, or you can call the Duncan's tech support number and ask for Curtis. I think you ask me this a few years ago when it was brought up talking to him and getting him to help me. I wouldn't pull a bull shit name out of my ass and fabricate a story just to blow smile up your ass.

I was having problems with that particular motor and setup being slow in a straight line drag race. A stock YFZ450 with a exhaust would be neck and neck with me. So I called Jeff at FAST because I baught the Serval Setup from him and he told me from the start that he didn't feel like the PT Mid's were the right pipe for that power plant and I needed to call or contact Duncan and get their input on that engine and pipe combination. So that's what I did.

Curtis told me to try a few different sprocket combinations and make some timing changes on my digital ignition that helped out a lot but I still wasn't happy. The next time I called he told me I could find a set of pipes that would better with my particular engine setup. I talked to him briefly about the PT High Rev's and he said there were high rev pipes out there that would perform better on the Serval than the PT High Rev's so I started trying other pipe and carburetor combinations until I found a setup that that did what I wanted it to do.

Edited by Thack82