Driveline Cylinder Review Dyno Run Stock Stroke T5 Pump gas stock carbs

mailman

I wanted to take a little time and post a quick review on the new Driveline Cylinders.  These are a great option when replacing your stock cylinders or just looking for more bolt on power.

Lane was great to work with.  He answers emails quickly and knows his product very well.  I installed his cylinders on a stock stroke crank and used his 22 cc domes.  This was NOT a "Shoot for the moon" build.  It was very far from optimal due to a limited budget.  Pipes could be better, carbs need to be bigger, compression and fuel could be better, filters could be better, timing could be advanced a little more, ports could be modded, etc. etc.

This, to me, is an "Average Joe" bike/motor with a few mods to start with and a pump gas bolt on kit that just about anyone could do.

Details: Bike already had T5 exhaust, Uni pod filters, stock carbs, Cool Head, and Vforce 3 reeds.  I put on the Driveline cylinders and 22cc domes, adjustable timing plate at 4.5*, and taper bored stock carbs.  Kicking compression was only 135 psi.  This is a safe pump gas setup.  I cleaned up the castings a little on the intake and exhaust.  350 mains, 27.5 pilots, stock needles middle clip, 1200 ft. Phoenix

Driveline%20cylinders%20392%20cc%20stock

Here is the same setup with stock cylinders so you can see the before and after.

Before%20After%20Driveline%20Cylinders%2

Same graph but with TQ added.

Stock%20Cyl%20vs.%20Driveline%20Cylinder

Edited by mailman
  • Like 4

correct, stock unported engine with vforce reeds and T5 exhaust compared to a 68mm bore clean up Driveline cylinder.

I thought for the money, it was a pretty darn good value with plenty of room for future mods as the budget allows.

For the record;  I don't know Lane personally.  I just thought members would like an honest unbiased review of this product of his.

• Like 1

Impressive, but I'm wondering what you experienced guys with built motors have to say.

I'm not knocking these cyls by any stretch, but is this power curve comparable to other SS 392's?

Don't get me wrong, that curve looks fun as hell to ride, especially since his stock motor is damn near identical to my stock motor and mods with the exception of his added compression.

And what are your thoughts on how a set of PC's would do on this motor?

Everyone says T5's are lazy and PC's rev harder up the face and rev the same or better than T5's.

Impressive, but I'm wondering what you experienced guys with built motors have to say.

I'm not knocking these cyls by any stretch, but is this power curve comparable to other SS 392's?

Don't get me wrong, that curve looks fun as hell to ride, especially since his stock motor is damn near identical to my stock motor and mods with the exception of his added compression.

Everyone says T5's are lazy and PC's rev harder up the face and rev the same or better than T5's.

As biased as my opinion may be, to be knocking on 70hp/40ftlbs with stock carbs, 135psi and t5s is pretty good. Upgrades to any of those 3 components will net a few hp at a time. Switch to 28-35mm carbs is going to be 3-5hp, 20psi more and still running premium pump gas is going to help and a pipe change could yield another 5-7hp depending on pipe. Looks like the toomeys are pulling rpm passed what I usually see, it may be the lower compression helping it pull long. A carb and dome swap, leave the t5's I bet its close to 75hp/40ftlbs.

• Like 2

What added compression?

OK, you guys could be right, but why would anyone put a cool head on and not bump up compression?

My motor is old and tired kickin 120psi cold.

Because certain dome shapes/profiles can perform better then others. Plus the Cool Head allows you to switch domes pretty easily, versus having a new head cut each time you wanna change it.