Barnett clutch basket cushion failure

Disassembled clutch side for a sheared shift eccentric screw and found cushion material everywhere. This is about a 5 year old Barnett basket/cushions. Is this normal for the polyurethane cushions and is rubber better? Basket also needs to be replaced due to broken eccentric getting jammed between the basket and clutch cover. Maybe it's time for a Hinson H120 with spring dampers. Note - it's on a 421 serval.

5 years on them is impressive. I'd say that's to be expected.

Think of the load those things take. Every time the bike fires it shoots through there. Every time the wheels leave the ground and come back down. The shock shoots through the bushings.

They take a huge amount of force.

Soak anything in oil long enough it'll start to break down as well.

5 years is a good run on any parts inside a stout serval that is ridden regularly. How often do you inspect/maintain things though? I'd assume they didn't just all break down like that after one drop of the clutch.... Make sure you are pulling the cover regularly, changing the oil more often and actually looking in the oil. It will always tell you when things need to be worked on.

I was thinking of possibly reusing the basket but I hear you have to send it into Barnett to get the steels replaced. I don't think Barnett will touch it looking like this. Trans oil gets replaced every season. Only 1 season with the serval. Everything looked perfect at serval build. Pretty sure they were just old and deteriorated and the serval just destroyed them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk