Manny's MX build

The 20's blow loose while the 18's make me fight to keep the front end down. That's with sprocket changed to keep the same ratio.

If that's all you did then it's obvious why your getting that effect. If your running the same tire and they are true to their sizes, that's a 2" difference in height. The 18's make your shee squat if the same suspension settings are kept, that being the preload/squat was adjusted with the 20's . So when you throw the 20's on your shee is sitting up higher in the rear therefore you spin instead of hooking up so when you throw the 18's it squats in the rear and more weight is over the rear tires and blah blah..so there you have it.

If that's all you did then it's obvious why your getting that effect. If your running the same tire and they are true to their sizes, that's a 2" difference in height. The 18's make your shee squat if the same suspension settings are kept, that being the preload/squat was adjusted with the 20's . So when you throw the 20's on your shee is sitting up higher in the rear therefore you spin instead of hooking up so when you throw the 18's it squats in the rear and more weight is over the rear tires and blah blah..so there you have it.

Always adjusted front and rear. Peps out back, and some baldwin did the shocks up front.

Easy, the weight is centralized over the top of the tire whereas a quads isn't. A quad also needs more traction than a dirtbike to propel it forward due to the weight. You hit a little bump, rut or what have you on the left or right side and makes the quad bounce up on one side leaving only one tire making contact and due to it being flat and not round like a dirtbike you now instead of have 20 inches of tire grabbing went down to 1-3 inches. Also don't forget about power to weight ratio which is a huge factor and the knobbies are also double so when you've got a nicely prepped groomed track those suckers are diggin. So in reality because the dirtbike weighs less it doesn't need as much traction as a quad to beat it in a straight line. Pretty simple concept.

Dirt bikes don't hook harder than ATVs.

They appear to go better because combined rider and bike weight is close to 200 pounds less than their ATV counterpart.

I'm just trying to figure out why the guy removing lugs to make the others bite is telling me it's a nonsense thought that in some cases certain tires may bite harder if they have a smaller contact.....

Why? More pressure=a more rounded tire which=less surface contact which=less traction and friction being the contact between tire and surface. Not that complicated.

Agreed. I made a post years ago showing the contact patch between 3 PSI and 6 PSI.

I also had a comparison between cut tires and uncut tires.