Manny's MX build

More surface area is not always more traction. There is a fine line between having the right tire and having to much tire spread the weight out to much so that it bites less.

Love this build. It's tits.

Whaaaaaa I'm going to have to tell these top fuel funny car guys running these tires they've been doing it wrong :-)

B18E982D-8567-4A21-A33C-551F59207371.png

1148C6B2-683D-42F6-A73A-42AD739977E1.jpg

Thank ya sir!

Keep doing what you do.

There are several reasons pro moto riders are not using 20"-22" tires.

You may have gotten things mixed up here..but the 20-22 sizes aren't used bc of the profile height and you want to be closer to the ground but not excessively and the 18-19's do that for you. Otherwise all the Mx tires are in a 10" width profile except as you saw here some actually run true to the 10" they claim unlike the Atrax.

• Like 1

These 18's hook way harder

dcf5e9002c01b1fda2df2f00f41c5019.jpg

Then these 20's that have more sidewall and wider footprint.

3b867dd9b9563db269111b5a04fb8cb2.jpg

Look how many asphalt guys are choosing to run tired with a narrower foot print but taller for more sidewall, and 60' better.

I didn't say it is ALWAYS THE CASE. Just pointing out variables that some choose to overlook.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Speaking of foot print, I was surprised my engine over powers my pro wedges. My pulse hook harder. My pro wedges just balloon and barely touch the ground

Exactly.

Pro Wedges are junk because as you get the tires moving you have less and less contact area on the ground.

This further proves my point.

These 18's hook way harderdcf5e9002c01b1fda2df2f00f41c5019.jpg

Then these 20's that have more sidewall and wider footprint. 3b867dd9b9563db269111b5a04fb8cb2.jpg

Look how many asphalt guys are choosing to run tired with a narrower foot print but taller for more sidewall, and 60' better.

I didn't say it is ALWAYS THE CASE. Just pointing out variables that some choose to overlook.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We were talking Mx here when the comment was made. I don't look to see what the asphalt guys are running as I don't care to go in a straight flat line haha. I threw the funny car thing for shits and giggles.

Wider is NOT always better for traction.

There are numerous variables.

Terrain and soil type play a huge factor and the conditions. Hard pack, semi loose, ect.

Bike setup is huge too.

This is reality well outside the boundaries of the atv world.

It's a matter of finding the best width, height and traction/lug pattern for the application.

• Like 1

Wider is NOT always better for traction.

There are numerous variables.

Terrain and soil type play a huge factor and the conditions. Hard pack, semi loose, ect.

Bike setup is huge too.

This is reality well outside the boundaries of the atv world.

It's a matter of finding the best width, height and traction/lug pattern for the application.

So list a tire they sell for MX that is unreasonably wide :-)

Terrain, soil, hard pack and loose conditions come down to the ply rating and design of the knobby.

Best width is the widest that's available that the tire manufactures and pros have done testing and came down to being the best set up which is a 10" wide tire again for Mx. Any 450 and banshee with mods can easily over power a tire and break traction all day long it comes down to minimizing and figuring out how to get it to hook or let loose when you want it to and be predictable while doing so and you have to find the balance.

BTW you forgot one of if not the biggest factor..tire pressure.

The studded tire pic?

It sounds like you're experiencing a lack of power.

That lack of power makes it seem as if you're going slower, when in fact what's happening is you just don't have the power to make them work.

I agree, you're probably faster with the 18s, but that doesn't mean they hook harder.

So list a tire they sell for MX that is unreasonably wide :-)

BTW you forgot one of if not the biggest factor..tire pressure.

I was lumping tire pressure into bike setup. Yes, very important.

The old MX pros used to use 18 X 11" tires.

There must be a reason most use 18 X 10" now....?

The studded tire pic?

It sounds like you're experiencing a lack of power.

That lack of power makes it seem as if you're going slower, when in fact what's happening is you just don't have the power to make them work.

I agree, you're probably faster with the 18s, but that doesn't mean they hook harder.

The 20's blow loose while the 18's make me fight to keep the front end down. That's with sprocket changed to keep the same ratio.