Looking for some ideas to prevent water intrusion.

Since all I do is trail ride I have to deal with water on the trail. I've tried the cfm air box which killed like 7 hp and ran water straight into the engine and fried my pistons in WV. My buddy Ben had a stock air box no lid and had the same problems as me last trip. I have had k&n's direct to the carbs for this past season. Seem to work pretty good expect when I hit water at certain speeds. Either I have to crawl through them or fly across. I had to stop several times the last weekend I was out. I even fouled a plug. I think some form of box that wraps around the filters would work. Need something that won't restrict air flow. I've also seen products like a thick mess material that wouldn't restrict air flow but it would cause water to disperse when it hits it. What are your thoughts on this issue?

I think water comes in from the sides, splashes off the seat and falls onto the filters and from the back as well coming direct from the rear tires. So it would have to be protection from all sides. I'd like to have something that is formed and looks decent. I don't want it to look redneck engineered.

Someone roosted zilla.. haha

I have been running a tock air box with a pro flo uni filter and dont have trouble.. do you have the pkug in the bottom of your air box?

x2

pro design adapter and K&n though. Ive never had a problem running K&N pods with pre-filters/ outerwears either. Also, if i can avoid being soaking wet and muddy i will, so i have no problem crawling through water. Get a jetski if you love water that much.

No need for that shit. Open filter ftw.

Photo1518.jpg

100_4480.jpg

I've been running open k&n's with outwears on them. If any water drops on them the engine starts to rev high and lean out. If I get to much water it will kill the engine. I then have to pull the filters off, dump the water that is inside the filer out, clean out the carb inlets, start the bike up and then dry the filters out on my exhaust. Takes 5-10 min's. Its a pain in the ass when you have a large group of riders and they have to wait for you several times.

Someone roosted zilla.. haha

I have been running a tock air box with a pro flo uni filter and dont have trouble.. do you have the pkug in the bottom of your air box?

I sold all my air boxes. I'm running straight 6" long k&n's with outwears over them.

Just make a shield. Use some thin sheet metal or even aluminum, and mount to the subframe and have it forms to just block the sides and bottom. No need to really block the front.

^ exactley what I did after I ate water about 5 years ago ice racing and turned my crank rods in to pretzels. Worked just fine and looks good. If you pan ahead and add tabs to make them quickly removable it helps. Might put Dzeus fasteners on mine.

i run standard airbox with snorkel and modded lid mesh covered hole and a K&N cone filter with outerware pre filter. 

i found this is pretty much the only setup that works for use on a wet MX track, it still can suck in a bit of water if you hit something really deep.