Welding 4130 Chromoly

I need some input from the guys who weld for a living and or the chassis builder guys.

I have a Laegers Racing chassis made of 4130 Chromoly steel. I have developed a crack at my upper rear motor mount on the right side. (kicker side)

My question is: can I weld this successfully with my MIG welder? If so what wire and gas?

I have decent MIG welding skills. I do not own a TIG machine.

If needed I can take it to someone who has a tig machine. are6eru3.jpg

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

X4 on new mounts all around. You can mig weld it with no problem in this situation. If you use a mig with .035 wire for steel then the weld is now the weakest point. But not by much. In this situation it will be more than adequate. The only reason to build a chassis out of chromo is so you can run a thinner wall tube thus saving weight and maintaining same strength. Personally i only use dom. Easier to work with and i'm not jockey size so the extra 2 lbs of chassis weight Savings is not worth the headache. Does this frame have bottom mount struts?

If not beveled or done properly it will crack again. needs a new tab imo

Agreed on the beveling

:stupid:

That will likely crack again, even if done properly. I would cut off both mounts and have new ones made and then welded on.

How thick are those tabs?

It is a one piece tab for both sides of the mount. 

Do the oem frames use two separate tabs?  My oem roller is at my shop across town so I can't take a quick peek at it...

I will measure the thickness later today.

:stupid: 's......Replace the tab all toghter so it wont happen again and to me it almost looks like a stock rear motor mount.

According to Laegers it is not an oem mount.  They fabbed it from 4130.

Bring it with u to coos bay. I got a 1976 Lincoln stick welder

Ok, great idea.  I will bring a black sharpie to cover it in black afterwards... 

Get a longer bolt also. Whats it in the nyloc like 2 threads?

That is a stainless allen headed bolt, grade 5.  I can't remember if I cut it to length or not. 

Are you thinking that having it under too much pressure (tightened too much) could cause this?

X4 on new mounts all around. You can mig weld it with no problem in this situation. If you use a mig with .035 wire for steel then the weld is now the weakest point. But not by much. In this situation it will be more than adequate. The only reason to build a chassis out of chromo is so you can run a thinner wall tube thus saving weight and maintaining same strength. Personally i only use dom. Easier to work with and i'm not jockey size so the extra 2 lbs of chassis weight Savings is not worth the headache. Does this frame have bottom mount struts?

More input on your thoughts of using my mig please.

I am running 0.035 wire and a 75/25 mix gas.  Argon/co2   (I think, does that sound right)

Yes, it does have the bottom mount struts.

Motor mount bushings and side rubbers must be worn. That or you tightened that bolt way to tight. To fix a crack drill a hole at the end of every crack trail then bevel it out real nice the whole way. Its hard cause there isn't a lot of room. A dremel with cut off wheels work pretty good.coat every thing with spray on spatter guard. Then just weld it back up. Can't help you there either it looks good or bird shit.

I assumed you would be pulling engine and electrical to do this. I would lay the bike on its side also. Welding flat position is just so much easier.

Edited by m671054