Smartcarb vs EFI

billybobby

Motion pro twist throttle cable. The trans shifts damn good cam thanks! Haven't worked on videos yet.... Riding! Had a big group at the dunes mid week and then just got back from the mountains. 10K ft the shee ran perfect until my buddy decided to take it puddle/mudding. The pods and outerwears failed miserably. I had to go find him... ported 10 mill servant might be coming soon. Rough weekend. Hope it's ok tearing her down tonight.

Nothing to crazy... Have been riding the kx500 for to long. Its taking some getting used to being back on the shee. I  made some gearing changes and minor tweaks on the smart carbs since this vid (much better).

Motor looks ok cleaned everything up should have it back together tonight! Hope to be hitting a mx track this weekend!     

Edited by billybobby

That's really odd that whatever efi setup you had didn't correct for temp and elevation. No wonder why it was temperamental! That is literally 90% of the benefit of it Haha. My microsquirt setup copmentsates automatically for elevation and temp. I was actually going to run a pair of smart carbs, but I want to switch between e85 and pump gas whenever, so MS with flex fuel sensor got the nod.

I keep pushing the MS setup but no one will listen!

I keep pushing the MS setup but no one will listen!

I think people are going to start listening more now with both Evan and I having running MS setups. What's really cool with the microsquirt is you can run MS2 code in it; that gives you an ITB mapping mode where it blends speed density and alpha N. Normal microsquirt code doesn't give that option. So you get the best of both worlds without trying to blend tables on your own. Tweaking the switch points has been a bit of a pain, but I have it basically figured out now. I tried speed and alpha N on their own and the ITB mode definitely runs the best. The old Gigiot systems must've been strictly alpha-N to not compensate for temp or elevation. 

• 2 months later...

Nothing to crazy... Have been riding the kx500 for to long. Its taking some getting used to being back on the shee. I made some gearing changes and minor tweaks on the smart carbs since this vid (much better).

Motor looks ok cleaned everything up should have it back together tonight! Hope to be hitting a mx track this weekend!

How did these perform on the MX track?

• 1 month later...

Update. These carbs are sweet! A mud bogging buddy took down my fresh 7mill... So I'm now running a 10mill redline serval! The carbs worked perfect on a way different motor. Only needed a few clicks on the adjusters up top to get it dialed in! Took it out to Little Sahara UT last weekend! The shee runs so damn good. No mx track yet but soon.1416418636_zps196666ad.png

• Like 2

I am running 36mm carbs. The bike is a total package. Motor might be overkill for a -1 swinger. Keeping it on four wheels is a challenge. Gearing and tire preasure changes are helping.

It's running pump gas right now. Going to try some smaller domes and run race gas.

Have a 40mm smart carb going on a esr yz345 so pumped to ride that... waiting on suspension.