Top Speed Estimate?

screamin'twin

right...well....uh...shit!    blue, thanks for what you said. the only thing is id like some good hard evidence even if the bike doesnt do 120mph. im just going buy what my mates have said to me and iv been questioning them about it since this topic started. they still say thats what it does. another thing is i live in scotland. i cant just walk into the police station and say "hey you, iv got a quad thats not registered for the road has no tax and iv been going up and down the road trying to find out what speed im doing" or if they see me on the road they will clock me and give me a ticket for it and ill lose my lisence before iv got it! the best way to do this is to do an asphalt drag but the nearest track is about 100miles away which for me is loads cos britian is a small place. i took what walrat said in mind and my mate say he had to redo the wiring on his car cos it was fucked. in a way this is a confession that i dont do 120mph and i stupidly beleived my friends and this has caused a massive argument. ill try and go to the polic station and see if they will clock me.  :(  rejection isnt a nice thing....but it builds character. oh well im going out to fix the lite on the shee and then go and play in the snow even tho its 02:30am. cheers

Notice the GPS part and the part where it says ect :rolleyes::angry::rolleyes:;):mellow::huh: ???

Aww forget the whole damn thing count me out if this stupid argument. <_<:angry:<_<

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would like to know where people are getting all these top speed numbers from. Do you have speedos? I understand if you have been to the track. But for the people that have not, were do these numbers come from? My shee has every bolt on you can get, and it did 92mph on the dyno at 11,500 rpm. I know outside in the real world it wont even do that! That was with my dual 26's on a stock port, and 52hp. I find it hard to believe that someone does over 90mph on a stock port.

I would like to know where people are getting all these top speed numbers from.  Do you have speedos? I understand if you have been to the track. But for the people that have not, were do these numbers come from? My shee has every bolt on you can get, and it did 92mph on the dyno at 11,500 rpm. I know outside in the real world it wont even do that! That was with my dual 26's on a stock port, and 52hp. I find it hard to believe that someone does over 90mph on a stock port.

sure wouldnt......... when you put the drag of the bike and you on the ground, youd be lucky to get 85.......most of these guys are just picking a number and typing it in............

If you just want a rough estimate of how fast you're going and don't wanna spend some cash on track time, gps, speeding tickets, etc. try this:

Grab a good tape measure. Chalk out a 'start timing line' somewhere where you can hit the line when your tapped out in 6th. Measure as far as you can away from that mark with the tape measure. The further you make the distance, the more accurate the speed estimate will be. So lets just say that you measure 500 feet. Draw another line, that'll be the point that your buddy will stop the stopwatch. Do your speed run having your buddies start the stopwatch when you hit the first line at top speed and stopping it when you hit the 2nd line. Do several runs and record the times for each one. Since your buddy probably can't see both lines have him stand at one and have another buddy wave an arm when you pass the other line. Or just have the passenger in the chase car do the timing. Now take your times and do a little math:

rate=distance/time

3600 seconds in an hour

5280 feet in a mile

"/" means divided by

Ok, I did the legwork so all you have to do is enter your numbers to get your speed, or close to it.

distance / time x 3600 / 5280 = mph

So lets say that you did the 500 feet in 4.8 seconds:

500 / 4.8 x 3600 / 5280 = 71.022mph

If you're going 120mph then you'll pass the 2nd line in just over 2.8 seconds. Do several runs, compute the speed for each one. Add up the speeds on all the runs you figured out and divide by the number of runs to come up with the average. This will help factor out bad stopwatch skills. Just remember to measure out as much as possible. Even at 500ft, an error of .1 second on the stopwatch will equal about 1.5mph.

Damn, this thread is still going. Tit how deep of a hole are you trying to dig yourself here. Tit, I think it is time to face the music.

:huh: raxen if you read the last 2 pages you will no that im not digging a bigger hole and i have faced the music. think before you speak! im takng advice from blue duece and wallrat now. jesus whats wrong with you?

Damb, I have been surfing BHQ the whole time this thread was going and just now checked it out. I missed all of this hilarious shit untill today! And of baby is it deep. I don't think anyone has mentioned this yet so I'll throw it out there. The chase car has a speedo that is in kph. If you convert 120 kph to mph it comes out to 75 mph. You guys are all being to tough on pore ol' tithead. Seriously, he was only exadurating his speed by about 4 mph which would put his speed right at 71 mph which is what you meanie :angry: guys have been trying to tell this poor little dumbshit son of a sheep idiot moron for a whole month now. Of coarse I could be wrong :blink: cause the monkies flying out of his ass probably add a tremendous amount of thrust just like the propulsion developed by that F-14's twin turbofan jet engines previously mentioned. :lol: