Anyone running a steel clutch basket?

You would think someone with a degree in applied sciences would know this.

The more mass you add, the more force it takes to accelerate that object. The most basic formula shows this, F=ma.

You should focus on formulas you need to do get your EFI System going.

That REALLY has to suck when Zilla makes you look stupid...

• Like 2

I would think a steel clutch basket would be hell on bushings. Get the tires off the ground WFO and slam it down, that's a lot of weight to be shocking back and forth like that.

Especially through a set of whoops with sand paddles. I would be scared to break shit

Which goes on a 4 stroke. Which is a whole different ball game.

A buddy of mine is running that on his CRF and says its the best clutch he has ever used for racing.   I looked into those for my TRX but don't mind levers too much since all I do is trails. 

Your wrong again.. the crank is directly driving the clutch basket via gears..  Ether helical or straight  The basket can not move without the crank moving.  It is additional weight that the engine MUST move.

You must also remember that any weight added to the clutch gear is 2.86 times easier to turn than any weight added to the crank do to the mechanical advantage of the primary/clutch gears.

This is why I don't think it effected revving.

• Like 1

Which goes on a 4 stroke. Which is a whole different ball game.

Hold up a second. you can't have it both ways.

on one hand you compare something that is beneficial to SOME dirt bike applications to being beneficial on a banshee...which it just isn't btw.

....but is not OK to compare a banshee to a 4stroke?

You can't have this selective disregard for factual info ( or selective application of physics either) and end up having a good outcome. A good outcome being defined as an improvement in performance or durability, in this context.

Sent from a van down by the river

No response to tfaith?

I've said all I'm saying on the steel basket. Tim confirmed benifits of the steel basket over a aluminum basket on a trail/XC Banshee. All the other comments are opinions, speculations, and theorys. The three guys running a steel baskets are the only ones that are stating facts. I don't really care if anybody ever buys or tries a steel basket, I have nothing to gain or loose.

There's only two steel baskets left and after they are gone no more will be made. I'm tired of going over the same shit time and Ti e again and everything I say being picked apart. You and the others that keep prodding me have made up your mind, so it's pointless to keep replying.

You must also remember that any weight added to the clutch gear is 2.86 times easier to turn than any weight added to the crank do to the mechanical advantage of the primary/clutch gears.

This is why I don't think it effected revving.

Well stated Tim.

The additional weight of the basket also does not increase traction..

That's merely the loss of HP making the tires harder to break loose.

Drag racing  and woods riding you got to remember are  very different.  I don't want my tires to beak loose.  Smooth controlled power delivery to the ground is why 4 stroked rule in the woods and why they put heavier flywheels on 2 stroke enduro bikes

Drag racing  and woods riding you got to remember are  very different.  I don't want my tires to beak loose.  Smooth controlled power delivery to the ground is why 4 stroked rule in the woods and why they put heavier flywheels on 2 stroke enduro bikes

I understand that. I was just making sure you understood why you had more traction.

You would think someone with a degree in applied sciences would know this.

The more mass you add, the more force it takes to accelerate that object. The most basic formula shows this, F=ma.

I'll see your Newton's second and raise you Newton's first law of inertia.  " Every object in a state of uniform motion tends to remain in that state of motion unless an external force is applied to it."   It's not like that force is gone and wasted.  It is stored in Rotational Kinetic Energy.  Again  YZ flywheel Vs IT flywheel.  Ride-ability   That grunt you need popping out of a steep river bank.  Take an old YZ400 into the woods and I'll ride a IT400 and see who stalls less and who is sore and wore out at the end of the ride.

Edited by TIM LUTZ

I would think a steel clutch basket would be hell on bushings. Get the tires off the ground WFO and slam it down, that's a lot of weight to be shocking back and forth like that.

Especially through a set of whoops with sand paddles. I would be scared to break shit

Good point but think of a sling shot.  How much do they weigh?