Serval or port

So I've got a 98 banshee with fmf sst, vforce4, timing plate and k&n pods. It runs strong as is but I have the urge for more power. I think I have narrowed my options to a serval or porting stock cylinders. I know I can make upwards of around 70 hp with some decent porting but fear I will lose some low end for trails and what not, so the serval comes to mind. I've always thought of it as kind of a 4 stroke act a like, with the low end power and higher torque numbers. My question is how much of a difference money wise and power wise would the serval be compared to just porting. If I go the porting route I would put a new top end in, weld the crank, and a cool head for some more compression, and bigger carbs. I believe my cylinders are stock bore or close to it, and head has not bean shaved given I have 125 psi compression both cylinders. Also would the sst pipes I have work well with the serval? I'd rather not buy new pipes if I could get by with these for the time being, what are your guys thoughts? I ride some trails, silver lake dunes, and around the house

2500 and up to have a built serval.  Don't waste your money, a 4 mil can achieve 65-75 hp pretty easy and have a nice torque curve.  You can keep your pipes, carbs also.  Buy the 4mil crank for $250 in the for sale section and get a noss head and your styling.

For a long time I was a proponent of just porting the stockers..... But for a QUALITY motor, I feel the cost is so close. Factor in the fact that BOTH motors NEED all the same bolt ons and gadgetry as well as trans and clutch work. Then for the stock cyl to make the 80hp mark they need to be a bit on edge and probably on race fuel. The serval makes the same performance if not better on pump fuel. That makes for a much more reliable set up in my opinion. After doing the last three 4 mils in stock cyls and adding it up, the serval from the get go is only a few hundred more bucks. Totally worth it in my eyes. Especially if you're a heavier fella.

Dont mess with the crank for now. It would be better to weld the crank but it may hold up for quite a while. $250 for porting on the stockers and about $50 to have the stock head done , + gaskets and you are good to go. Redline and a few other builders get em pretty quick. Some builders or even sponsors can be much longer , make sure you get an honest timeframe for work or a serval if you order one.

Edited by RadarRacing

I for one hope this thread keeps going. I have been contemplating this EXACT same question myself.  I have two sets of cyls i could possibly sell along with some other parts to help displace some of the cost if i went serval...or i could send one of the sets to be ported for cheaper.  I have a hard time also with the "room for improvement" having the stockers ported.  I run full race in my setup now and im getting tired of paying $9+ for race fuel.  80hp on pump sounds really nice...Hopefully more people knowledgeable members can expound on their experiences relating to this topic.