Man, some people...

So, I don't know how many people have followed my '87 Shee thread I have in here, but I need to go on a small rant here.

My girlfriend has a '97 Banshee, which was partially the reason why I bought mine. According to her brother and father, this thing is "built" and has "radical dune porting" and "will beat anything" .... 

So a little background on this. This desert season has been our first season going out together, and she has told me that her quad is temperamental and doesn't always start. Boy was she right. Since this season of maybe 5 trips, it ran well maybe one ride. A few months back before I bought mine, I didn't really know much about banshees, so I just did some basic things to try and get it to run a little better. Mostly just replaced a sticky throttle cable and read about how to sync the carbs. They were way off. immediately after doing that and making a few adjustments on the idle needle, it started up first or second kick for the rest of the season.

So her brother comes out last trip and he's like dude, this quad is fast as fuck. It's got way more done to it than yours does. I'm like cool man, but it runs like shit, so that doesn't seem to make much difference. You know? Anyways, last trip this thing didn't run for shit. Throttle not dropping back down to idle, falling on its face at 1/2 throttle, etc.... I'm like dude, there's gotta be an air leak or something.

So I take it home and plan to do a leak down test. Before I even get that far, I pull the intakes off, and whoever put the Vforce3 reeds in it just Hacked the living shit out of the mating surfaces to get the little tabs off. HUGE V cuts in it with a dremel or something. No way in hell it was sealing. On top of that, it has a boost bottle, which like everyone on here has said, broke the intakes. Air leaks galore! 

Anyways, I continue with it and pull out the reeds... turns out the radical dune porting is black painted stock porting...... which probably means the 360 main jets and 25 idle jets are not even close to the right jetting for sea level.... 

I'm just shocked this thing hasn't blown into pieces. Not even because it has air leaks and is too rich, but just the sad lack of knowledge about the bike as a whole, and even brag about it. I really have no questions or anything on this, I was just getting so irritated with this that I had to share it with people who would understand my frustration! 

So, you're dating in to a family that tries to be gear heads. Unfortunately they are lost. This is a pivotal moment in your life. You can keep playing the game as it is and always be annoyed and eventually get stuck fixing their mistakes with zero gratitude. OR...... You can lick that pussy right, and turn her against her idiot family and run off to the dunes together with out that awesome brother in law.

• Like 5

So, you're dating in to a family that tries to be gear heads. Unfortunately they are lost. This is a pivotal moment in your life. You can keep playing the game as it is and always be annoyed and eventually get stuck fixing their mistakes with zero gratitude. OR...... You can lick that pussy right, and turn her against her idiot family and run off to the dunes together with out that awesome brother in law.

Well said sir.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

• Like 3

"So, you're dating in to a family that tries to be gear heads. Unfortunately they are lost. This is a pivotal moment in your life. You can keep playing the game as it is and always be annoyed and eventually get stuck fixing their mistakes with zero gratitude. OR...... You can lick that pussy right, and turn her against her idiot family and run off to the dunes together with out that awesome brother in law."

Too freakin funny......hahahahaha      

Thats very close to the jetting I was running in the dunes last year with stock carbs & dune port.

Edited by VoOK
  • Like 1

you should have been around before 4 pokes, and only thing at the dunes was farmall's  250r's  and banshee's  i bet every weekend i went to the dunes i seen at least 4-5 people that were like this..  

Only thing that "persay" saved that bike was the jetting....

I totally agree. That, and she doesn't ever really push the bike to the limits.

Hahaha!

Thats very close to the jetting I was running in the dunes last year with stock carbs & dune port.

At what altitude? My '87 has 300 mains and 27.5 idles with centered needles. My girl's had 360 mains, 25 idles, and 2nd from the bottom clip on needles at sea level. But I also don't really know how much the porting affects jetting. Never had a ported quad.

Soo since all this has happened, I've replaced the reed gaskets, replaced the intake boots, waiting for a stock crossover tube to come in, did a leak down and everything is holding pressure. While I'm waiting on parts to come in, I did the +4 timing plate mod and cleaned out the carbs, and changed the jets to 27.5 idle, 310 Mains (didn't have any 300's, figured I'll start here), and centered the needles. 

I really don't get how people can be so clueless about this stuff. Even when I was being raised, my dad always told me that Banshees were a pain in the ass. But like anything else, if you do the research and know how to apply it, it's not that hard at all...

I love how people put a exhaust on a 4stroke & do not even have a clue it needs to be rejetted. It pops like crazy & super loud lol

But that sounds so bad ass! Just like a typical poor running Harley at a stoplight.  :yank:

I also like the people that do mods on Banshees and don't jet them.  :whoa:

Then they talk about how 2-strokes are time bombs and can't handle long periods at high RPM.   :pirate:     (Funny….didn't the Banshe motor start out in a street bike?) :blink:  How was that possible?  :lol:

I really don't get how people can be so clueless about this stuff. Even when I was being raised, my dad always told me that Banshees were a pain in the ass. But like anything else, if you do the research and know how to apply it, it's not that hard at all...

That's the thing no one researches it. Think they know all