I'm so fucked. Tranny is shot

MarineNYC

I have a 2005 Nissan frontier. The truck runs and drives perfect. Just last week I started feeling a shutter on the highway. It felt like it was happening when the car was trying to go into overdrive. Checked my tranny fluid and my antifreeze and the two are mixing together through a faulty automatic transmission cooler that's attached to the radiator. My anti freeze looks like Pepto-Bismol. Bottom line is that my transmission will go out any minute now. Does anybody have any opinions about aamco or some of the big chain tranny shops. Or do you think that I should stick to privately owned shops? I think my best way to go would be to rebuild the transmission and fix the radiator. I just know that the stealership wants 6,000. Anyone have any recommendations?

aamco did a trans for me many years back in my S10.  They were fine.  Its just another day for them, just another trans.  I would, however, stick with a smaller shop and do some research for the "good guy" in town... There is always the "go to" shop in any town.  Fred's transmission, local chain to me, did a great job for me on two trans' last year.  A 700R4 and TH400 for my street and plow truck... Good guys, and each chain store acts as their own small shop... So its not like a subway ya know...

I would agree with the flush first/repair or delete the cooler. 

-JD

• 4 weeks later...

They are built in Tennessee you ignorant moron.

Oh great your THOSE type of people. First of all moron its a NISSAN truck. Japanese!!!!!y5y9umum.jpg

Edit: Its about the engineering not the people who made it! The big 3 of the US make real trucks.

Edited by ETR174