Porting cyls w/ racelogic template and 4mil short rod

OK, I need some schooling here. What´s wrong with those numbers? (194/130)

My opinion is, if that´s a gas motor, I wouldn´t go over 32bd(nor 194exdur) at first. You can always take them off and raise the exhaust later IF needed.

I did that mistake and went up to roof with 35bd with pump gas, and believe me the powerband sucks for a heavyer rider.

Right now I have 110% overported door stoppers and I hate them.

But anyway, you´re doing good work!!

i cant say with certainty anyhting is wrong with them numbers. put the engine together and try it would be my suggestion. if it dont run as expected then go to plan B. anybody thats done their own porting will likely have a few cylinders laying around that didnt work out like they planed. got a couple doorstops myself

but i would try to look past just a timing number though. heres the reason why. you said you wouldnt go past 32bd but how wide is the port and whats its shape and is there aux windows. lets assume you have a stock cylinder at 194 exh and 60% wide and 120mm roof radius. youll have X amount of bd area. now if we have another stock cylinder at 194* 100mm roof radius and window is 70% wide youll have more bd area, add aux windows and youll have even more bd area. so even though both cylinders have 194exh and 32* bd, one of the cylinders would have a shit ton more bd area. if you read some of the books they talk about angle area and time area and stuff like that .

its pretty easy for even the greenest of tuners to see a decent power increase on some engines. mainly because theyre in such a low state of tune to begin with, that most anything you do to the cylinder results in more power. 250r, cr500, banshee, blaster all come to mind but theres many others. the newer stuff from ktm and even honda wouldnt be nearly as easy to gain alot of extra power unless you were highly experienced because those engines are already tuned fairly well right off the showroom floor. 20yrs ago the 250cc engines were not even close to 50hp. now you can roll a ktm off the showroom right to the dyno and lay down 50hp with just a couple carb tweeks, so its not so easy to get a bunch of extra power unless you know what your doing.

report back how it runs. im curious to know. these twins are all new to me but im learning more everyday. just got my clymers manual today. should be able to adjust the chain by tomorow  B)

its pretty easy for even the greenest of tuners to see a decent power increase on some engines. mainly because theyre in such a low state of tune to begin with, that most anything you do to the cylinder results in more power. 250r, cr500, banshee, blaster all come to mind but theres many others. the newer stuff from ktm and even honda wouldnt be nearly as easy to gain alot of extra power unless you were highly experienced because those engines are already tuned fairly well right off the showroom floor. 20yrs ago the 250cc engines were not even close to 50hp. now you can roll a ktm off the showroom right to the dyno and lay down 50hp with just a couple carb tweeks, so its not so easy to get a bunch of extra power unless you know what your doing.

report back how it runs. im curious to know. these twins are all new to me but im learning more everyday. just got my clymers manual today. should be able to adjust the chain by tomorow B)

I'm glad you have finally decided to actually tinker with banshees. I know we've busted each other's balls frequently but it's obvious you seem to have a decent knowledge base and I'm actually pretty curious what your results will be.

Your above statement is exactley one of the points we used to dissagree on to an extent as it seemed that you were always trying to compare Modern factory engines to the rediculous chore of getting these dinosaur cylinders to perform. The way you worded it above is about as right as it gets. Please keep us posted on your results as well.

Edited by trickedcarbine

Finally got to ride the trails, and get a good run in over the weekend. Still needs some tuning done, and the domes worked a little. Overall I'm happy with how everything turned out. The bottom-end didn't improve much, but mid to high has improved greatly! Especially the transition. It used to hit really hard when the pipes came on, but now its a lot smoother. I haven't kept the throttle pinned for very long, I just know it tops out a lot faster... even after dropping a tooth in the rear.

So for now I'm going to address the domes to correct the squish and compression. After that, put the 34mm carbs on and get'em jetted. The only thing I might do after testing the larger carbs is widen the exhaust a little more. But so far there doesn't seem to be a need for it.

I did manage to get tossed twice. First time I slid off the trail and hit a rock, the 2nd time was on asphalt sliding sideways and it bit in.

post-47103-14108293258957_thumb.jpg

Here's a shot at the bottom of th WR transfers

its a shame they didnt put any aux ports in there. they really help alot especially if theres enough material to make them large. i built one last summer but never could get it to run right. was using a cr500 lectron needle from packard but i dont think it was the right one i needed. did alot of tuning and got it sort of running decent on the dirt but soon as it hit sand with a paddle the fuker kept stuttering. turned the needle and powerjets every which way but never got it sorted out. have another cylinder for it im gonna port real soon

on the second vid you can hear the stutter but i couldnt figured out what the hell was causing it

start grinding on this one pretty soon. it will go on the lower end of the bike in the vids

IMG_20140902_204223_zps2eb4cc2a.jpg

IMG_20140902_204204_zps22d6c3e6.jpg

Finally got to ride the trails, and get a good run in over the weekend. Still needs some tuning done, and the domes worked a little. Overall I'm happy with how everything turned out. The bottom-end didn't improve much, but mid to high has improved greatly! Especially the transition. It used to hit really hard when the pipes came on, but now its a lot smoother. I haven't kept the throttle pinned for very long, I just know it tops out a lot faster... even after dropping a tooth in the rear.

So for now I'm going to address the domes to correct the squish and compression. After that, put the 34mm carbs on and get'em jetted. The only thing I might do after testing the larger carbs is widen the exhaust a little more. But so far there doesn't seem to be a need for it.

I did manage to get tossed twice. First time I slid off the trail and hit a rock, the 2nd time was on asphalt sliding sideways and it bit in.

Damn I missed that second crash, lol.

Edited by turbowrenchhead

• 10 months later...

I Feel the need to give credit where due... Sleeper06 and Lane, thank you for the clues with port timing. Especially Lane from Driveline Performance that worked with me on the timings for the 11882 pistons. A shoutout to Bansheehp for the domes... good cut and spot on for compression with being fed only measurments. CamATV for his spotless "Pro-Mod" on the trans... even all pumped I get the gear... up or down! Mull Engineering for getting us through a rough spot, Brandon pulls through and is a "fountain" of information (honestly I'm very impressed with Brandon.... he knows too much about everything!), 87sheerips for the SLP pipes! F.A.S.T. Racing, they have the parts! I know this is controversial... but Ray minkia38@gmail.com supplied the pistons and a few other parts with no issues. I hope the pistons catch on!

To the individuals on the HQ: "Abe" is an excellent seller, got my dual piston front calipers from him! So is the "Mailman", got my rebuilt rear shock from him! The "springer" gave me an awesome deal on a +4 LSR swingarm and axle! "Sick421" got me a nice set of works shocks for the frontend, thanks... they're better than what I expected! "fox_forma" for the carbs! And "Burke" for the Clark tank and front plastic!

I only wish I could contribute more!

camatv tell us your secrets what you do. make the piston windows bigger ?

lmao...whats your secret, flap your man pleaser for a couple of years about how everything is wrong, fucked, doesnt work and how your gonna fix it...then start asking about "parts to to change" like everybody else...oh thats no secret

go port some more blaster motors for faggots, i'm sure you impress them with you ability to extract a few hp from 40yr old big bore DT125 motor...lmfao

• Like 2

• 2 months later...