new banshee wont kickstart.

2005shee

well I got my first banshee today on a trade but when I got there the guy said it had to be rolled because the kick start wouldn't go down all the way and it wasn't, it was hanging on the nerf bars and it wasn't a big deal because it just needed a little grinding and the thing had a ton of power. the guy didn't know anything about it he though it was all stock but I know it at least has Toomey t5s on it, its pretty obvious. but when I got it home I took the nerf bar off and it wont kickstart. I tried for a long time and nothing, it still rollstarts and runs great. also the guy had stihl 2 cycle oil in it which I know isn't right but wouild this cause this to happen and I think it was running a little high on oil but im not for sure im coming off a 4 stroke, but it seemed to smoke just a little much. any suggestions, simple things to check before I break the engine down?

ya it will kick over just wont fire doesnt even soung like its trying to without a ton of gas. and ive not really looked at anything just got it a few hours ago but i just realized its not got anything on the carb i mean its straight carb no airbox or even a filter that could be a problem couldnt it? and joey83 if its messed up ill hit you up.

Edited by 2005shee

also when should there be pressure on the kickstart? it goes down like a 1/4 of the way before it actually starts to turn over is this normal?

Edited by 2005shee

Probably since it was ran without a filter its sucked dirt, dust and debri into the carbs/cylinders causing premature wear thus having low compression now. Need to do a compression check but id guess it has extremely low compression now and needs a new top end. hopefully no lower end damage to crank bearings.

bought one myself still stock that had a ripped filter. Wouldn't kick start but would push start. compression check showed 80ish commpression on both cylinders. should be 120-130 stock depending on elevation

dardy dave I have owned quads and dirtbikes bot but this is my first two stroke ive owned. and I called the guy I got it from and he said they weren't off long he said he took them off expecting new ones but they never arrived. but ill check the compression and everything I really hope its ok. and if compression is ok could no filters make it hard to start?

Edited by 2005shee

cant be great for it. weed eaters and blowers run on 50:1 mix. (premeasured little bottles from redmax) so if he was mixing it as directed then it would be pretty lean on oil for a banshee. I do know alot of inexperienced 2 stroke riders dont warm them up properly also, causing the pistons to heat up and swell faster then the cylinders causing massive scoring. That and a lean oil gas ratio is horrible for a banshee or any two stroke for that matter. Think the manual says 20:1 but thats so rich it smokes like hell. i use 32:1 on all my 2strokes but i know some of my friends use 40:1 on there 2stroke bikes

I'm betting low compression. You just have to do a test and see for sure. If it is low compression, a new set of rings will help. If you can afford it right now,a fresh top end would be best. take your cylinders to a machine shop and have them measured and prolly gonna need a bore($ 80.00) Then order top end kit  size for overbore($200.00). These bikes are very easy to work on. While your down clean those carbs.

Ok.....because your a new guy who obviously is in love with having a 2 stroke.......I am going to take it easy on you. 

BUT YOU NEED TO SLOW DOWN.......we can see with your typing/dialogue on here that your overly excited and just want this bike to run great.  BUT.....its not going to run great unless you take the time and listen to us AND go ahead and do ALOT of research on here.  This site isn't the typical joe blow forum where you might get an answer and usually its wrong.....

This site is literally full of guys who have the knowledge to diagnose your problem down to a specific part that isn't working in conjunction with the rest of your setup......and more than 95% of the time, they are right.  So.....sit down....stop panicing a start reading up on what these guys are talking about.  And don't worry if you hear that word REBUILD.....your coming from the 4 stroke rip off world.....here in the 2 stroke world we can rebuild the entire top end, including boring, honing, pistons, and gaskets for just under $300.  Pretty incredible for a twin cylinder machine....

• Like 1