Completely stock.... Engine upgrade , bore, what size?

Do a compression test to see if you need a top end rebuild. If you do need one, only bore what you need to get the cylinders cleaned up. This will save the cylinders for future bores. A adjustable timing plate set at +4 is a common mod with noticeable change in performance. (45.00)  If you need cylinders bored and can afford porting, this will be one of the biggest gains you can get for the money, but you will also want some different pipes. The list keeps going, just depends how fast you can afford to go

as said porting your stock cylinder is the best bang for the buck. Once you start making some serious hp, you may have issues with the clutch holding and/or the trans shifting. I highly doubt youll achieve that with your average play port on stock cylinders though.

For a durable finish on a frame, powder coat it. I painted mine and it held up decent but never again. I went talk to my local powder coater sunday to decide on colors for my build i started :)

Edited by RagunCajun

check the crank for excessive play, maybe get it trued and welded. Maybe hone the cylinders if needed. You can do other basic maintenance while it's down.

The the price of a crank, engine seal kit and cooling head(or spacer plate) you can do a 4mil stroker set up. The sky is the limit though. I think a port job will be all you need for now.

With a port job you will also wind up with lower compression (as to make the power through port work you must lower the intake and exhaust ports) which will need to be compensated for.  There are a few choices......you can go with a stock head and have it milled to increase the compression, or the better idea is to buy a cool head, which allows you to interchange different cc heads for more compression. 

The port job is the best bang for the buck......HOWEVER.....its not going to really work correctly unless you already have the normal bolt on beginning stuff such as pipes, filters, timing plate............don't get me wrong, it'll work without those.....however it will work FAR better with those mods.....