Detonation?

Well after melting my first as cast 421 cub, i put a weekend on this new top end as cast 421,  somebody noticed a stud was broken on the stator side, along with i thought it wasnt running right well that was y.  Well i tore it down to replace the stud and found this on the clutch side of the motor. Squish was .37-.38(which i know is tight) kicking psi 150. I was mixing some 112 with 93

null_zpsa5ff3490.jpg

null_zpsd964ee23.jpg

Looks like something was flying around in there but everything else seems fine. The left side dome has some very very very small marks. From the pics i researched on here detonation is usually the whole piston and dome, but i cant find anything blown apart. 

Also since the cylinder was off i was kicking around a serval cylinder, the light switch power for hills if fun but a fuckin pain  in the balls to work with. Is it better to port cub for more mid or port a serval for a lil more top end. Im looking for a in between. Also running straight pump

Any input is appreciated 

Thanks Joe

Been there done that. I have a piston and head with those exact markings.... Was a small chip off the crank bearing that did it.

The race cracked when our alky motor went lean. Better tear it down now or It'll cost you more later. 

Crank bearing would be my guess. Or did the porcelain ever crack on the plug? Could also be the crank trying to separate and the wheels rubbing the case. Especial if you had a case stud loose.

That is not deto. Not to say that deto wasn't involved.

Crank bearing would be my guess. Or did the porcelain ever crack on the plug? Could also be the crank trying to separate and the wheels rubbing the case. Especial if you had a case stud loose.

That is not deto. Not to say that deto wasn't involved.

thats what mine was crank seperated but then a ring snapped and all hell broke loose. Shus id split the cases for sure.

I didn't bother testing it when I seen the stud broke. The plugs looked good as you can see, I couldn't find any cracking of the sort. I was leaning towards something other than deto but knew that involved tearing down so was hoping for the easy way out. The last motor was melted due to overheated on a drunk in night. Not much carnage just the rings melted to the piston and smoked the nikasil, so I didn't both to clean the pipes out. Just dump upside down. I appreciate the info guys and will be back hopefully tomorrow with the root of the evil. After I tear the rest of it down.

Thanks joe

I've never seen a wrist pin bearing go bad. I did have one that fell apart upon disassembly though. Did you replace those in the rebuild? Builders are bad about not suggesting new ones with new pistons. And FFS new pistons don't come with them. I always replace them. I agree it could have been one Of the rollers out Of that. And on second look at the piston it looks like some deto there, but it's usually not in the center like that.

Those marks are not caused by deto... Deto will look like the you sand blasted  a divet or a hole in the piston, it won't be clean dents like that... That looks like a chunk of bearing or ring was getting smashed between the head and piston... did the ring line up pin(s) fall out of the piston? If so those may have come loose due to deto.. I'd tear the motor down to inspect everything... I'd also loosen up that squish to at least .040 if not .045

Well after melting my first as cast 421 cub, i put a weekend on this new top end as cast 421,  somebody noticed a stud was broken on the stator side, along with i thought it wasnt running right well that was y.  Well i tore it down to replace the stud and found this on the clutch side of the motor. Squish was .37-.38(which i know is tight) kicking psi 150. I was mixing some 112 with 93

null_zpsa5ff3490.jpg

Looks like something was flying around in there but everything else seems fine. The left side dome has some very very very small marks. From the pics i researched on here detonation is usually the whole piston and dome, but i cant find anything blown apart. 

Also since the cylinder was off i was kicking around a serval cylinder, the light switch power for hills if fun but a fuckin pain  in the balls to work with. Is it better to port cub for more mid or port a serval for a lil more top end. Im looking for a in between. Also running straight pump

Any input is appreciated 

Thanks Joe

if you need another 9768 68mm piston I have a decent used one. pm if your interested.