Who Makes The Lightest Swingarms/axles?

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rax performance makes em. I own one but if you wanna spend the $$$ then go for it but IMO its not too much lighter than a regular arm, it is alot stronger though and it does come with a lifetime warranty.

The titanium wasn't that much lighter?? How much is not much??? I thought about building a custom mx frame w/ titanium..... :blink:

The difference is prolly around 2 lb's maybe a little more, nothing that can give you a serious advantage, would you spend all that extra cash for 2lb's? If you look on MP racings web site you'll see the stronger G2 weighs about 11lb's and the lighter one is about 9, I dunno if that is including the carrier or not. It is really strong though, but personally I wouldnt spend the extra money just cause its light. I hear welding titanium is a real bitch, you need to have a special chamber to weld it.

fb843fb6.jpg

Now is that 2lbs compared to aluminum or steel?? If thats compared to steel, then its not worth it, but if thats compared to aluminum, then there would be a lot more weight difference from the steel.....

I can't remember what my swingarm weighed. I know my new steel swingarm is 2 lbs lighter then my stocker and the bearing carrier is also 2 lbs lighter since its aluminum.....

The titanium swingarm is a hell of a lot lighter. 8.3 lbs with the bearing carrier and brake mount etc. that's a +4. I had a +4 chromoly before that was 12lbs WITHOUT the carrier and brake mount. A stock swingarm with bearing carrier etc. I bet is over 25lbs. Expect around 20-22 with a +4 chromoly version as it sits on the bike.

You are looking at a difference in 12-14 lbs over chromoly and significantly more over stock. Titanium is 45% lighter than chromoly and 25% stronger. It's also like stainless steel and aluminum in that it won't rust.

We have a RAX fully polished titanium swingarm on Ebay right now.

Guranteed the nicest swing-arm you'll ever find!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...item=2440311138

The titanium swingarm is a hell of a lot lighter.  8.3 lbs with the bearing carrier and brake mount etc. that's a +4.  I had a +4 chromoly before that was 12lbs WITHOUT the carrier and brake mount.  A stock swingarm with bearing carrier etc. I bet is over 25lbs.  Expect around 20-22 with a +4 chromoly version as it sits on the bike.

You are looking at a difference in 12-14 lbs over chromoly and significantly more over stock.  Titanium is 45% lighter than chromoly and 25% stronger.  It's also like stainless steel and aluminum in that it won't rust.

We have a RAX fully polished titanium swingarm on Ebay right now.

Guranteed the nicest swing-arm you'll ever find!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...item=2440311138

Funny how you can say that Jantzer, when I'm posting a pic of the same swingarm your selling on a scale. Maybe my scale doesnt work and I really weigh 80 pounds, who knows. But like I said there is a weight diference, but you're not gonna get a serious edge from it, a bearing carrier and brake mount isnt gonna weigh much, so if you were to buy the lighter swingarm from MP racing that weighs 9lb's alone annd add say another 5 pounds to it that would be 14lb's total, the difference between the arms wouldnt really mean shit in a drag race. I would'nt spend the extra cash just for the weight, it isnt worth it IMO. But if you want a light swingarm you can abuse then go for it.

I am in no way trying to bash Rax Performance or you Jantzer, after all I own a +4 arm and I am really happy and impressed with the quality of the swingarm. Plus the lifetime warranty kicks major ass.

Lefty do you own one of these facny Ti swingarms ???

I dont know about weighing stuff on a that scale in your picture, they're know to be "not so accurate" especally at low wieghts. Try to weigh stuff on a good digital scale used for shipping, like the scales UPS or the Post Office uses.

Are these Ti swingarms for drag racing only or can you beat the hell outta em on a trail\MX\XC Banshee ???

Jantzer, give us the sales pitch.... id like to learn more about Titanium ATV stuff.

did you guys read that article in ATVSport where they tested the LSR Ti 250r frame, it was a good read. They used a Ti swingarm and A-arms too, I dont remember the article giving the total weight of the quad, but damn id bet that 250r was light as a feather. This 250r was setup for TT, im curious how Ti stands up to XC\beat the hell outta the quad type of riding. I hear this stuff about how much stronger it is, but then there's always that sidenote that Ti is brittle. BTW that LSR frame cost like $8 grand.

More Ti info please......

OOPS I forgot about this thread. Ok I have weighed the swinger a bunch of times because I saw the description shane put on the auction and I was expecting to see 8lb's but it kept showing 9 or 9.5lb's i was thinking that it was off but i heard alot of people saying those scales are pretty accurate but I guess for low weight they suck, I dont have access to a scale like the ones they use for shipping but i will try to get my hands on one.

Are these Ti swingarms for drag racing only or can you beat the hell outta em on a trail\MX\XC Banshee ???

I dont know how much abuse these arms can take but the beauty of it is they have a lifetime warranty, if you break one they'll replace it for you for life.

Now at the $1300 retail price, I couldn't justify it for my personal needs. But I'm not into competition racing either where every ounce makes a difference.

Thats what I meant on my posts for the extra cash it really wasnt worth the price to just save weight.

It won't rust but it will carode with chlorine which is in most tap water. In all applications of manufacturing with titanium chlorine, chlorethane, are a big no no.

I didnt know that, and you saved me from future tears from when I wash my bike. Would it be ok if I cleaned it with windex or some other kind of cleaner?

Here's a review I made from a long time ago when I first bought it.... http://www.angelfire.com/alt/bansheedude/Mods.html