394 Stroker Top Speed Problems

rg97

A few reasons why it isnt running to the top speed maybe:

-full fenders (LOTS of drag)

-20" BALD BALD tires, so really they're about a 18.5" to 19" (stocks are 21)

-stock final gearing (14/41)

-stock primary gearing (23/66, or 2.869)

-running lean on top end

What I would like to do:

-22" tires

-I cant run a 15 or larger front sprocket because the chain would hit my case saver, so i would run a 14/37-38

-possibly race cut fenders

-one or two size larger mains

Stock banshee with T5s with stock tires will do over 80 with 16/41. It takes a long run, but it will get to 84 mph. With 15/41 it'll still pull 78 mph. You have something way wrong.

If i can do 70 with a 14/41 (and 20" tires), then a 15/41 with 21" tires  would get to about 77-78, which is exactly what you got. I dont think anything is wrong with it except a little too lean up top. My only choice is to change the rear sprocket

If i can do 70 with a 14/41 (and 20" tires), then a 15/41 with 21" tires  would get to about 77-78, which is exactly what you got. I dont think anything is wrong with it except a little too lean up top. My only choice is to change the rear sprocket

By stock tires I meant stock size (which I thought was 20"). So...with 20" tires. I would have thought that a ported motor should rev out farther than 8900 rpm or whatever. THe pipes may be holding it back. Not sure what T5s rev out to on ported motors. Also, if its not an aggressive dune port it may not rev more than that anyway. Maybe nothing is wrong other than what you've mentioned here. Throw some more gear to it and see,

lol i thought someone mentioning uncut fenders affecting top speed was a joke to begin with haha...makes sence

what about tire weights?, bald tires = less reciprocating mass = less engine load ;)

The real trick is to keep the whole bike waxed real good so that it cuts through the air molecules. The race cut plastics really do well with a slippery wax job.

lol i thought someone mentioning uncut fenders affecting top speed was a joke to begin with haha...makes sence

what about tire weights?, bald tires = less reciprocating mass = less engine load ;)

Well I dont see anyone with trail pros on their banshee, so this might have some truth (lol)

For those of you who dont know what trail pros are...

Carlisle-Trail-Pro-Multi-Purpose-Tire-Sp

A quote from threewheelerworld:

Carlisle TRAIL PRO Facts!

Available at your local Walmart super center for a price so cheap that the idiot who bought them will replace even a brand new pair of holeshots with them.

Commonly refetred to by the idiot purchaser as the most bad ass tire ever barring wooly boogers.

They have been compared to putting 16-ply semi tires on a VW beetle

They have almost zero traction on every surface known to man, minus something like pine tar.

The tread pattern is so embarrassingly stupid it makes even Richard Simmons cringe at the sight of them.

The weight of the tire itself is indistinguishable from the iron wheels commonly found on tractors from the late 1800's.

The rubber is of such a hard compound they have been known to actually bend nails over before puncturing. In fact, Chuck Norris round house kicked a Trail Pro one time and was rewarded with a broken foot.

For those of you who dont know what trail pros are...

Carlisle-Trail-Pro-Multi-Purpose-Tire-Sp

A quote from threewheelerworld:

Carlisle TRAIL PRO Facts!

Available at your local Walmart super center for a price so cheap that the idiot who bought them will replace even a brand new pair of holeshots with them.

Commonly refetred to by the idiot purchaser as the most bad ass tire ever barring wooly boogers.

They have been compared to putting 16-ply semi tires on a VW beetle

They have almost zero traction on every surface known to man, minus something like pine tar.

The tread pattern is so embarrassingly stupid it makes even Richard Simmons cringe at the sight of them.

The weight of the tire itself is indistinguishable from the iron wheels commonly found on tractors from the late 1800's.

The rubber is of such a hard compound they have been known to actually bend nails over before puncturing. In fact, Chuck Norris round house kicked a Trail Pro one time and was rewarded with a broken foot.

One of the best things i have ever read. Lmao

Well i found out what my problem is. I decided to take my front sprocket off to change it from a 14t (stock) to a 15t. Turns out the PO had a 12t on it. I don't know why he would want that much accel with no top speed. Anyone know why he would be running that small? Well anyways Im going for a 15t front, just hoping it will fit in my case saver. When it comes ill do another speed test