Changed transmission oil, now it's acting funny..

jsinar

I just finished changing my transmission oil, I have no idea what was in it before, this is the first change for me. I used klotz flex drive 30 this time. Before, when I would have it in gear with the clutch pulled in it would sit and idle indefinitely, Now after I changed it it wants to pull some with the clutch pulled in. Is it because it's just new thicker oil? I made a few laps around my property and it seemed to get a little better after it started warming up some. Is this normal or is clutches in my near future?

I was talking to my buddy and he said it was prob because the plates dried out, I let it sit for a few hours with the clutch pulled in to let it completely drip out while I was doing other things. I'm going to ride it for a while tomorrow and see if it's any better.

no.... usually when i change a bike to flexdrive after ppl use motor oil, i use atf type f for a few rides and then put in the flexdrive. 

sorry, you may have wasted the expensive stuff first, but, ride it a few times and change it again(just use the type f for now until you make sure you aren't having other issues)

Some will disagree but my findings are after a clutch has been run with one type of oil it will drag when you switch to a different kind. It may get better with time. For me its nothing but type f transmission fluid.

type F sucks ass.  it burns up very quickly and i can always tell a trans that has had it in there.  it dosent lubricate as well as you would think.  type F breaks down VERY fast around 220-260ish degree's  slip a clutch a few times and you way over that...  after going to even cheapo 4t castrol 10-40 oil lasts a LOT longer and trans shifts much better.   best is the klotz flex or the royal purple synchromesh 2 stroke oils.  very nice.

the plates are just soaked with a differnt type of oil.  just run it and keep the freeplay in the clutch.  it might come out later.  if sitting with the cluthc pulled in and creeping is so much of a hassle change your clutch.   leaving your cable pulled in all night long might also stretch the cable out prematurely.   might need one of those.   OR it can be the basket is groved, the pusher has some issue's the pull lever is worn, the boss and PP are groved and/or worn  your metals are warped, etc.. 

I run type f as well! And i run the balls off the bike all the time! Sometimes im lazy and dont change the fluid for months! Ive tried just about every trans fluid out there, All the people that think that their expensive fluid shift better, last long...blah blah.. Are delusional!

Went out today and rode it, had the initial "jerk" when I put it in 1st the first time, but after that I didn't have a problem. And it was 25 degrees warmer today than it was last night.

Pretty common when its cold. After the transmission warms up it should shift fine and not want to creep with the clutch pulled in. The oil just needs to warm up, and the clutch pack needs to get oil worked in. When is super cold out I have to rev mine then drop it in gear when I first fire it up in neutral. If I let it idle and drop it in to first the motor will some times die, and it lunges forward.