Anybody use silicone on thier head gaskets?

The Copper spary gasket is awesome... When I do head gasket jobs on cars that use MLS (Multi-layer steel) head gaskets it is an absolute must or you will have leaks.. I use it on all metal gaskets.

/\/\/\ like these guys have said......ive never had to use silicone and wouldn't suggest it.....but like them I have used the Permatex copper gasket spray.  Stuff works wonders.  Had plenty of conversations with both master auto mechanics and site sponsors about the stuff.....haven't heard a person say to not use it.  There is one inherent problem with it though......when you use it and then put assemble your motor.....don't play on using those gaskets again (not that you should EVER reuse a stock style head gasket).  Reed gaskets and what not will definitely be tearing on their way off.  I have heard of people smearing a thin layer of grease on the clutch and reed gaskets to ensure they seal and yet come off without tearing....

/\/\/\ like these guys have said......ive never had to use silicone and wouldn't suggest it.....but like them I have used the Permatex copper gasket spray. Stuff works wonders. Had plenty of conversations with both master auto mechanics and site sponsors about the stuff.....haven't heard a person say to not use it. There is one inherent problem with it though......when you use it and then put assemble your motor.....don't play on using those gaskets again (not that you should EVER reuse a stock style head gasket). Reed gaskets and what not will definitely be tearing on their way off. I have heard of people smearing a thin layer of grease on the clutch and reed gaskets to ensure they seal and yet come off without tearing....

I'll spray my clutch cover gasket with white lithium. Peels right off when I take the cover off ( most of the time)

I may get some laughs with this one but I have used chrome spray paint on the steel head gaskets with success was told by a old time mechanic that its basicly the same.

Actually its not a joke and i still do this. Most recently on my 86 bmw which are notorious for seeping headgaskets around the oil drains. One thing to note is cleanup is a bitch so do it right the first time :)

I may get some laughs with this one but I have used chrome spray paint on the steel head gaskets with success was told by a old time mechanic that its basicly the same.

My uncle told me that before, I thought he was just really drunk talkin shit.

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk 2

Another vote for copper spray.. Never heard of the grease on gasket trick

Copper spray on the metal shit, yes.

Alot of guys in refrigeration A/C field will rub oil, silicone grease, etc on gaskets when putting stuff back together. First couple large chiller rebuilds I did old guys used couple tubes of the Dow 111 and smeared it all over the paper/garloc gaskets.