athena big bore kit?

rick7476

I know boring has very little to no gains... HOWEVER. When I spoke to redline in regards to building a 4mil stock cyl set up for the type of riding I did. He recommended going straight to a 66mm bore on Virgin cyls. I had...

I didn't ask why but I'd assuming there is a reason behind it...

my guess would that its the 573mo6600 piston that could be used with a 1mm higher pin height then the 795mo65xx.

That means if you don't have the money to spend 2 grand on a new motor kit, a bore job, port and polish and some Vf reeds will make a big difference

Please..... Stop. Reccomending that people bore their stock cyls is a waste of cylinder life. Never bore a good set of cylinders unless needed. It's not economical at all. If you port cylinders early on in their life, what good does it do to bore it out 2 mm just to chase a few CC's and a handful of ponies. Then the first time the motor needs a rebuild it's time for new cylinders.

Not worth it. Just the fact that you refer to it as "port and polish" indicates you don't quite grasp the concept. These aren't V8 cylinder heads.

• 2 weeks later...

I have seen combustion chambers, piston domes, and exhaust ports polished. Never have I seen transfers or intakes polished. Not even on the internet.

Better heat transfer, less buildup / deposits, flow, and compression stays where it should be at, but it only helps so much. Try it for yourself.