Got spark. Won't start!

Jraz

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep, got fuel. Lol. Gap set at .016. At this point I'm leaning toward a bad cdi. Problem started when my stator rattled loose and got damaged from the flywheel. So I replaced the stator, flywheel and ignition coil. Weird how easily the new flywheel comes off the crank. My woodruff key is worn some, but other than that., its sparks totally random.

The flywheel shouldn't come off really easy.  Does it wobble?  Could be that the pick up gap is changing.  A damaged pickup or stator cannot damage the coil, but could short out the CDI.  The CDI is solid state though, so it should either work or not work.  Sometimes heat can effect solid state components but I don't think this is the case.  Typically the same thing with the coil.  I would suspect inconsistant pick up gap or bad stator.

No the flywheel doesn't wobble but there is a minuet amount of free play when mounted on the crank before I tighten it down due to my key being so grooved. So in other words is if my cdi was bad it wouldn't produce any spark at all?

Somewhat correct.  The CDI doesn't provide spark for ignition.  It provides the primary signal to the coil and the coil provides what is considered the spark to the spark plugs for ignition.  You can check the trigger from the pickup to the CDI with a Multimeter.  Not sure there is a way to test the CDI.  The clymers tells how to test the coil but I don't think it is a very accurate test.  Best way to test these items is to install them on a known running bike and see if they continue to work.  Don't put known good components on your bike to test in case you have more than one problem.  Best troubleshooting tip is to buy another Banshee.  Lol!

SP

So clymets secondary way of testing is wrong. Secondary ohm was 4800, and primary pegged at 0. My stator homes all good but seems like I have to kick it a few times to build up enough signal for the cdi to send it to the ignition coil. Anyone ever had a stator that ohm'd good and gave an intermittent spark. From what "they" say is ur cdi works or doesn't. ?? Idk man

CDI is good, or junk. Unless you have a bad wire somewhere. But if your primary coil is reading open then it is bad. It needs to be .28 to .38. Intermittent would tell me that a pickup coil wore is smashed or bare and randomly shorting out. Those colors are white with green stripe and white with red stripe. Pull your harness and go over every inch of it. I just had to do all of this in the last week.