Smart carb

crash&burn

Hope so,, would make for a good Xmas present to myself.lol

What does pikes peak have to do with anything,,? They just tested it there. And no, I won't post how to tune it.. I'm not stupid, unlike the dude who keeps askin if his frame's bent., I know how to tune most shit myself,,

No, not exactly. More like 380 sumthing for cast. The billit ones are 800. Plus, they'll have the 38mm done and workin good before they do the 36.. There are quite a bunch of guys with the billit ones on the net already. A guy on 250r.net has a billit 40mm or sumthing. And he's had nothing but good things to say. Same with other dirtbike forums. So I'm not really a guinea pig, Mabey for a single carbed banshee I guess.lol

Pulled this off of thumpertalk

Here's the latest...

To Our Pre-Order Customers,

This is a report of the Revision A cast 38mm SmartCarb analysis as well as an update on Revision B production castings.

1st SLA process prototypes

38mm SmartCarb cast prototypes were experiencing signal loss because air was leaking past the slide, bypassing the metering rod. This was due to body/fork/slide misalignment and fitment issues. These issues lead to a loss of idle control. However high speed settings and top end power met and in some cases exceeded our expectations.

Revision A Tooling

Prototype cast carburetors provided sufficient data to proceed with creating a permanent mold tool for investment casting and hopes of meeting pre purchase production timelines. The carburetors produced from hard tooling were expected to exceed the quality of SLA prototypes.

Revision A Analysis

This week the Revision A carburetor samples were again deemed unacceptable due to distortions in the castings and misalignment issues in the slide cavity area that cause improper sealing. Assembly of the carburetor castings required excessive custom fitting, also considered unacceptable for mass production.

Revision B Tooling

Rev A analysis requires changes to be made for a Revision B tool. Every effort is being made to improve idle control and accurate air/fuel metering in the cast carburetors. The fork will now be pinned into the body and a “chilling block” will be used to reduce body distortion. Check valves have become a mandatory addition to the Rev B tool as well.

Current Actions

We will follow through with Revision B tooling and produce pre production castings to test. We are currently working with our casting supplier to make changes to the tooling.

If Revision B cast SmartCarbs meet our quality standards, production 38mm cast carbs can now only be released as early as August 12, 2013.

The following options for pre purchasers include:

1. Full refund, no questions asked

2. Upgrade your purchase to a billet carburetor with a $50 manufacturer rebate

3. Wait patiently for the best fuel system ever developed

i think i would take a few "blems" to play with ha ha..

this is a brand new company  and like so many it seems these days the concept is there  it just takes time.  and if they have little to no investment income to support the entire development process it can take a very long time.  to me at least  when you are pretty picky about quality of an outside built product  things can go wacko really quickly.

lectron carbs are pretty weather friendly in all reality.  much more than any other carb i have personally used.  SO  since these are based off that design AND are an upgrade to a basically 30+ year carburetor design they SHOULD work excellent.    it jsut sucks that the company ( like so many others) has promised something  and because of things mostly outside their control they are having issues..  

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...