Head rescue and rechamber

sicivicdude

While Ken (and/or his disiciples) are amongst you, I am NOT one of them. Surfrjag an ddq have met me personally and can attest to that.

@ wheelman: AWESOME! That's the bee's knee's there.

Just order yourself a Mazak Integrex and tell the wife the vaca's are deferred for a while. Every machine has it's strong point and not always a better option than a live tool lathe fuck are they fun.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just order yourself a Mazak Integrex and tell the wife the vaca's are deferred forever. Every machine has it's strong point and not always a better option than a live tool lathe fuck are they fun.

There, I fixed it for you :o

Maybe some day sir I will but I have to get there first. What you are seeing in the pictures at the beginning of this thread is the start (not specifically that head :P) for me.

I spent 5 minutes on the blaster site, won't ever go back. Never seen so much KOC swinging in my life.

While it may appear that way to being with, I promise you it's not ALL like that. That entire subject however, is a topic for another thread or maybe not on here at all as it's not my desire or attempt to drag BHQ and BF into another spat!

I simply had some banshee related work I did recently and figured I'd post it on the most relevant forum available.

No doubt side mount don't suck, mostly due to prestaging. We still have one of the older carousel Haas's and JESUS is that painful to watch. However, speaking of pain, try a Haas super speed VMC with a bad TC twin arm. Verified that a 10lb tool can be ejected clean through the lexan window, no prob...... Some people slow down the TC just for safety but come on....we make shit faster for a living. The thought of slowing down is not really a thought process....

No doubt side mount don't suck, mostly due to prestaging. We still have one of the older carousel Haas's and JESUS is that painful to watch. However, speaking of pain, try a Haas super speed VMC with a bad TC twin arm. Verified that a 10lb tool can be ejected clean through the lexan window, no prob...... Some people slow down the TC just for safety but come on....we make shit faster for a living. The thought of slowing down is not really a thought process....

hahaha we have 14 Haas machines at the shop including 2 super speed mills. I have ejected a few tools lol. We just purchased a okuma multus machine. its a dual spindle lathe with a full 5 axis head on it. 14 spot turret with three live tool pods, as well as a 50 tool changer. Bad ass.. In all honesty, a haas is a enrty level machine. okuma,Mazak, mori sekis are on a whole differant level.

I have had the pleasure of running them all.

Chris

That is no kidding Chris. I have said for years, "if only the Haas machine was as good as the Haas control". That does not mean the Haas control is anything special but they are sure easy to use and look at.

We have several Moris and Hitachis and sad to say, we LOVE Jap iron around here!!! If you are a machine wrench like me, you start looking at how things are built and Mori just makes sense and Haas leaves you saying "WTF were they thinking??" Little things like way covers that don't have enough angle to lose chips, a bed that does not flush chips, etc. I notice yours still have the table gutters on. Busted too many knuckles on those jokes to keep them. But, I have always liked that Haas GIVES you a few extra M codes and we have used them.... LIttle things like programmable air blast, etc are so easy with the Haas I/O.

Okumas are super solid iron but I don't like their proprietary control. From what I hear, VERY good conversationals on the lathes but I like Mori with a near standard Fanuc.

I just want the side mount for the extra tools it hold I make high end titanium flashlight and could use more than the 20 tools mine holds!!! my parts take several hrs to make so for me the speed is not the main priority on a 4hr cycle a few mins is not a big deal for me but I'm just a small one man shop.. on a fast paced job shop the fast tool changer make a big difference and is fun as hell to watch

Well, most people have been led to believe that a stock banshee head isn't rechamberable. Most people think that a "domed" head is the only performance option available

That's simply untrue.

With a stock head, basically any head shape is achievable just short of a full on alky drag head (not enough meat in there for that). For folks who don't want to spend $260 on a cool head (or similar replacement head) rechambering is an option.

It's especially valuable for that "sleeper" look.

well, that is simply not true. as has been pointed out that most know about the few differnt companies/builders and people thst will re-chamber your stock head, or even cut it to fit genaric domes. this kind of speculation and brash claims are where you start to go wrong.

$120 for the rechamber regardless of the finished design needed as long as the head is in good shape to begin with. Obviously, requiring welding it would cost more but that head ^^^ was a free donor head and is going out as a favor.

I use software for calculating MSV values for correct squish velocity so rest assured that the combustion chamber shape would be as corrected as possible for a given application.

The process for doing it is exactly as pictured above, a special counterbalance for turning each combustion chamber separately and then a special jig to properly support the head while the mating surface is being removed. Once the flycutting operation is over, the head is finish lapped to ensure a proper seal.

I think considering the work involved, the price is fair. It's also priced well enough that folks who don't want the "bling" of the cool head, it's a serious budget minded modification.

it is never fair in any way to make the customers pay for you to learn and set up your "special" jiggs and such. especially if they pay for you to learn. only case where it is okay for you to charge such "new tooling" setup is a one time special custom work. it is up to you to eat the time to learn and make your jigs and tooling. just bad business. just a side note- for less than your basic spin-cutting, you can send your head in to be cnc machined to a special shape not posible on a lathe.

If you machine a cylinder head surface correctly, there is no need to do anything else to the surface area.

truf

I built a flycutter for doing it but it leaves thousands of tiny ridges. The bit moves along under power feed and as it moves forward, it leaves a cut surface behind it. Some people might trust that, but I take it a step further and finish lap it. Are you complaining about another step someone is willing to take to ensure a leak free installation?

$96 for pump gas heads and $116 for big bore and stroker mods from that other place. Sounds about right for the level of effort needed to complete the job and right in line with what I figured. I lumped all of them together in saying $120 no matter the need for modification.

covered already

What you are looking at is the same thing with less photoshopping :D

Maybe. I have 3 cores right now (none as bad as that one) that I'll be running on but I might take you up on that offer if some people are interested in getting their heads modded.

is not the same thing, really, and shit talking a good builder just makes your breath stink. we all know what you meant by "photoshopping" you talked shit, admit it.

That was the first one I did and the one I used to make both my jigs for doing the work! One for the chambers, one for the face milling. Not much one for just sending out any old crap either. Like, going the extra mile and lapping the mating surface to make SURE it isn't going to leak. Glad I went the extra mile?

Anyone who might be interested can PM me. I'd be more than happy to discuss anyone's particular needs.

use fluid like you should, and when you improve your setup to cut better, it won't gaul up like that

I was referring to the picture with the background cut out of it and the polishing with a nice backlighting. Looks GREAT btw.

no, you weren't.

Some of the best work I've ever seen has come from "some dude in his garage"....

Who said anything about 6 weeks?

it's not about "some dude in his garage". lots of great work comes from hobbiests, and such. it's your pretentious shit-talking attitude coming right out of the gate. you are not better than all us dummies on this site.

I certainly don't stir the pot much anymore but most any machine shop of some stature does not regard a "Hass" (Actually Haas), much of a precision machine. They are the Chevy of the machine world. Every one has them but not to be confused with a Porche.

However, I CERTAINLY do not see much wrong with your efforts. I could throw a bunch of rocks at setup, tooling, etc, but as you already know, everyone has to learn it if they want to move forward. Break tools, break parts, "try" not to break machines, etc. It looks like you are making the proper efforts to improve yourself.

hey, what's wrong with chevy? i likes my chevy's, lol. check his other threads..... this horse is a boat anchor on land trying to drag to water for a drink, but may be soon coming allong... i hope.

You boys kill me, evrytime a guy trys to start out from his garage or even shed you guys beat him down, its not possible, cant be done, blah blah blah,

time to stfu,

you know ho many nascar or nhra drag guys started out in a old barn or garage with a dirt floor? 100`s and they beat many of the big shops with thier backyard home built cars.

how many privateer mx racers started from doing thier own work in some shit hole? tons. and they became national sponsered racers.

Apparently you all have to much money or no inginuity on how to do stuff yourself,

this certainly is not the case of what is happening here.

I am a machinist and work with +/-.0001 tolerances all day every day. In my posts I stated facts and also helpful information. His replies to me were defensive and a joke.

While it may appear that way to being with, I promise you it's not ALL like that. That entire subject however, is a topic for another thread or maybe not on here at all as it's not my desire or attempt to drag BHQ and BF into another spat!

I simply had some banshee related work I did recently and figured I'd post it on the most relevant forum available.

you are not a maurder, or a victim. you started the shit, and escelated it yourself.