Head rescue and rechamber

sicivicdude

That's a 13 x 40 Smithy Granite with .0005" z-axis DRO and .0001" X and Y. While it's certainly not a Hass 5 axis CNC machine, it is more than adequate for the work being done.

What milling machine do you have? Any pictures?

I certainly don't stir the pot much anymore but most any machine shop of some stature does not regard a "Hass" (Actually Haas), much of a precision machine. They are the Chevy of the machine world. Every one has them but not to be confused with a Porche.

However, I CERTAINLY do not see much wrong with your efforts. I could throw a bunch of rocks at setup, tooling, etc, but as you already know, everyone has to learn it if they want to move forward. Break tools, break parts, "try" not to break machines, etc. It looks like you are making the proper efforts to improve yourself.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I certainly don't stir the pot much anymore but most any machine shop of some stature does not regard a "Hass" (Actually Haas), much of a precision machine. They are the Chevy of the machine world. Every one has them but not to be confused with a Porche.

However, I CERTAINLY do not see much wrong with your efforts. I could throw a bunch of rocks at setup, tooling, etc, but as you already know, everyone has to learn it if they want to move forward. Break tools, break parts, "try" not to break machines, etc. It looks like you are making the proper efforts to improve yourself.

I mispelled Haas, sorry. Their machining centers are a HECK of a lot nicer than anything I have or have access to. :( I'd be happy with a Chevy considering I'm riding a bicycle at the moment!

For the record, I didn't know you (or anyone) did this work in particular. The head pictured is one I was given for freebies and decided to "play" with to help out a buddy.

I didn't go about advertising this to begin with.... Read back through the thread. Someone else asking how much so I answered. I wouldn't blame anyone for going with someone else, just figured I'd throw my lot in the hat. I do appreciate your kind words and would be willing to listen to a few rocks (gently thrown mind you) as I try to learn everything I can.

Thanks everyone for the attention.

Matt, everyone who feeds you sugar isn't your friend. Be careful what you read from that "anonymous" member you got a PM from.

Edited by sicivicdude

I would be leery of using the spark plug threads for your centering. I have seen a few that are .040" off center compared to the bores. Other than that it looks pretty nice for what you are working with.

None of these I've run across have had that issue but I have seen blaster heads (what I have a LOT more experience with mainly because my old lathe didn't have enough swing over the bed to turn a banshee head!) with that issue. Seems yamaha wasn't terribly accurate in their machining processes.

I certainly will be on the lookout for that issue before I throw one into the machine.

Any other nuggets of wisdom you'd like to impart (not being a smartass here, actually asking for any other information you could bestow)

There was actually two of them...

Have they given me any misinformation thus far?

...Didn't think so...

No misinformation exactly, but I'm sure cast in the worst possible light. I've ruffled as many feathers there as I undoubtedly will here so I have a "fan club" as you might call it.

I learn by doing. With that comes mis-steps. Those mis-steps can either haunt or empower you. I choose to let them empower me to do better next time.

You boys kill me, evrytime a guy trys to start out from his garage or even shed you guys beat him down, its not possible, cant be done, blah blah blah,

time to stfu,

you know ho many nascar or nhra drag guys started out in a old barn or garage with a dirt floor? 100`s and they beat many of the big shops with thier backyard home built cars.

how many privateer mx racers started from doing thier own work in some shit hole? tons. and they became national sponsered racers.

Apparently you all have to much money or no inginuity on how to do stuff yourself,