4Mil/Port or Port only?

Current config is Paul Turner mid-range pipes, stock jetted carbs on airbox without lid and pro-flow and K&N. My last banshee was ported by Duncan Racing so I am planning to get it done again. I was looking at HJR, FAST, & Wildcard. Kevin from HJR is the only person responding to my questions to unless something drastic happens he has my business...

Should i just go with a port only build or go the whole 4Mil route? What are the benefits of the 4Mil? The only thing I can see is more torque and added displacement.

I do mostly trail riding / mx type riding / some duning

ready to install:

I have 35mm PWK Air Strikers - would PJ34s be a better choice?

Cool Head with (20s, 21s, & 22s standard domes) which would be required now?

V-Force 3s

about to order a new intake (Chariot or Boss Racing w/ built in cross-over) which would you recommend? is the cross-over required or does it make tuning easier?

adjustable timing plate - should i go +4 with this build?

what pistons do you recommend? brand?

What crank? Welded? Trued? If you get the crank welded can it still be rebuilt?

What changes would be required for race fuel? what octane? what hp difference should I expect?

Thanks.

Do the 4mil! Its only a couple hundred for a crank and you will kick yourself in the ass if you don't do it. Kevin is an awesome guy to deal with! He does great work. You won't be disappointed.

Go with wiseco pro-lite pistons, hotrods crank ( a little more expensive, but DONT skimp on the crank, its the heart of your engine.), and talk to kevin about the race fuel questions. He will hook you up with everything you need. Definitely get the hotrods crank and have kevin go over the factory hotrods welds before you put it together or have him put it together.

-Jared

I was in the same boat as you, not sure how far I wanted to take it. I ended up having kevin at HJR build my motor with a 4mil Hot Rods crank, hardcore port and polish, chariot head with custom cut domes, +4 timing, shift star mod, Chariot reed cages, and wiseco pistons. Let me tell you that I couldn't be happier with my setup. I do mostly woods riding with some fields here and there and my bike rips. I would reccomend Kevin at HJR, his service and quick turn around time is great. If you decide to go this route make sure you do not skimp on any aspect of your build, you get what you pay for.

Yea I would go as big as you can!!

I know your not looking at aftermarket cyl yet but the serval cyl is a nice setup that later you can port for much more power, not to say you can't with stock cyl either.

I'm prob the only guy on here with this opinion, but if I was doin what you are doing, again, I'd get a nasty port on my stock cylinders and true and weld the stock crank. Unless I find a smokin deal on GOOD 4mill crank. If that wasn't enough maybe do a stock stroke serval. But like I said that's just me. I've been running a 4 mill for a long time but that's because I got a deal on crank, pistons, and ported cylinders. If you think you'll actually ride it with the mods you plan to do for a while and not make it crazy unridable in the woods I'd keep the stocker. If you think one day you'll be wanting a 100 hp bike like everybody else then do it while it's apart.

Every single one of those questions should be answered by your builder. You need to use the builder's specs when finishing up the motor.

those are the questions that were posed to the builders i am looking at. the question for your guys is what are the benefits of going 4mil/ported stock as opposed to just a ported stock cylinder from the builder?

Do what bigred said. He has a bottom end assembly walk through that helped me on my first ever build. If I would have just went 4mil right from the start I wouldn't be so poor right now.

yeah that is what i am trying to avoid as well. i hate to port cylinders and get the pistons matched and have to turn around a do it all again if i decided later to go 4mil.