broken crank rod, major damage..............

do you know something about the cranks M&M is selling? They seemed to be getting very good reviews a while back. Have you had one fail?

personally, no. Just second hand, of them falling apart with very little time on them... I saw a post here a while back, where everyone was talking of how great the quality was and all This crap. So being the negative person I can be, I asked of anyone one of these cranks in a high hour motor, then also asked if anyone had one in a high horsepower motor. in both cases, no one could give me a straight answer of yes or no...

Truthfully I would want one of these cranks for free, although this is an extreme situation, when the crank goes. It takes a lot with it.. This is, what I think would be an extreme case, but this poor fella lost his cases and quite possible his jugs. If not his jugs a costly repair.. Can't cheap out when it comes to the heart of these motors. Can't beat something that has been tried and proved countless times...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by zach45

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

personally, no. Just second hand, of them falling apart with very little time on them... I saw a post here a while back, where everyone was talking of how great the quality was and all This crap. So being the negative person I can be, I asked of anyone one of these cranks in a high hour motor, then also asked if anyone had one in a high horsepower motor. in both cases, no one could give me a straight answer of yes or no...

Truthfully I would want one of these cranks for free, although this is an extreme situation, when the crank goes. It takes a lot with it.. This is, what I think would be an extreme case, but this poor fella lost his cases and quite possible his jugs. If not his jugs a costly repair.. Can't cheap out when it comes to the heart of these motors. Can't beat something that has been tried and proved countless times...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

grenaded-banshee.jpg

Unfortunately been there got the shirt with a failed yamaha crank and it does suck. I remember the thread you are talking about but nobody could ever show one that had come apart either, at least not that i remember. I have one of the M&M cranks in a box ready to go in my newest build so we will find out i suppose. I have Hot rods cranks in my other 2 bikes. I will tell you nothing is bullet proof, i have killed a stock stroke hot rods as well. To the OP sorry i took your post so far off track as this has nothing to do with an M&M crank in the first place. Just wanted info i might not have heard of concerning my new build :cheers:

definitely not happy about this, weather just got good out here and my whole motor is fucked from a bad rod, i really hope HJR will help me out a bit with this, a fully licensed small engine mechanic put the motor together with me and the motor was barely broken in, the piston had very little carbon on top if any.

grenaded-banshee.jpg

Unfortunately been there got the shirt with a failed yamaha crank and it does suck. I remember the thread you are talking about but nobody could ever show one that had come apart either, at least not that i remember. I have one of the M&M cranks in a box ready to go in my newest build so we will find out i suppose. I have Hot rods cranks in my other 2 bikes. I will tell you nothing is bullet proof, i have killed a stock stroke hot rods as well. To the OP sorry i took your post so far off track as this has nothing to do with an M&M crank in the first place. Just wanted info i might not have heard of concerning my new build :cheers:

its ok man, this site has great people for discussing stuff like this. if anything it will keep this thread alive for me.

Edited by mike0chek

The wiseco cranks I have seen fail in dirtbike applications, where to rod snaps and pretty much cuts the motor in half. Yeah, the Hot Rods cranks have a rod that seems to be slightly more durable than the rods on the $350ish 4mill cranks, with the bronze collored rods. I'm pretty sure the cheap cranks are built with parts from China and Taiwan. Hot Rods are all Taiwan. I'm really unsure now about running this cheapo 4mill crank here. To the OP, sorry to hear about your carnage. Its not fun or cheap. I feel your pain. Hopefully Kevin will work with you on this.

i have 3 more sitting here with either a bent rod or its snapped.....all happened when the motor was at low rpms

bent one a few days ago when the motor back fired

i was told these (builders)/(companys)..i know of 3 that sells them) are buying these cranks for $150 and reselling them for $400-$700 based on WHO you buy them from.

IMO if you get one with 29L/R on the rod SEND IT BACK!!!!....and if you already have it in your motor take it out and send it to crankworks an have them install the grey HOTROD rods on it.

IMAG0374.jpg

Edited by stroking

I've been thinking about going 4 mil for my next winters project. I'm starting to do my homework and research and came across this thread. Wow I'm really sorry to the o.p. for all the damage. Obviosly these rods have not been proven because who in there right mind would install them in a Banshee if they ever saw this ?

Is this the rod to avoid ? or Basically if the rod is Bronze avoid it ?

http://www.phatperformanceparts.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=HOTRODS%2DATVCONNECTRODS&CartID=

just spoke with kevin from hjr, he seems to think the head is repairable so i feel slightly better lol for you guys wondering about the cranks, he said he had 3 bikes in the shop with either broken crank or rod all different cranks...one of them was a $1300 billet.

Edited by mike0chek

Sounds like its best to stay stock.

Mike o check pm my brother. james berry about that bottom end. He has everything from the cylinders down minus the side covers... He will take care of you. Its my old bottom end. At least that will give you good cases

ok man thanks have you spoke to him about it?