Pro Builder Tips & Tricks

Yeah that copper spray is killer! No one should be reusing gaskets in my opinion anyway. That stuff was the only thing that kept the big bore motor in my Sig from leaking. TDR gave me some pretty good stuff too. It is called Toyota Seal Packing. It is basically their extreme version of permatex for the assembly line.

So, how bout these pistons? Should I do some work on the Windows? Like I said, I have all the tools necassary to do it. I have honestly never ran Weisco pistons but the window just seem so small. No comparison when next to my old WSM pistons.

The window is there primarily for oiling of the upper rod bearing. It helps some with crank-case filling too, but there are a lot of pistons out there with no window in them at all. It doesn't affect performance by any noticeable amount. When you open the windows up more you are just weakening the piston and for MAYBE 1hp on the dyno and no gain in seat of the pants riding.

- Jared

Man, I sure wish I could! Jim sort of keeps ya on a need to know basis. You get a phone call when he starts your motor work, then you get a call when its done. That's it. If you forget to ask a question, the likelyhood of getting in touch with him again is slim to none. He did give me a check list for parts combination, assembly, and tune up. So I'm not hating on him, he's just a busy guy. From what I understand, he has another job as well. I sure wish his communication was a little better.

I know what you mean, I bought my Snipers from him and as you say, communication was not his best attribute. I expected that though, hope it's all worth it in the end.

probably talking about adding the window that lines up with the boost port. I guess its supposed to help keep the top bearing oiled.

I don't think there's enough gain to warrant the hassle.

you spend a lot of time questioning rather than researching jereme.

Coup.....I totally forgot by that point that the discussion was also about cutting the windows.....so when I read the response I was thinking he was making a comment about pre-lubing the wrist bearings with oil and it's relation to being able to make more power from pre-lubed bearings. Sorry coup....my bad. And i would do the research....but would it even be worth researching whether pre lubed wrist pin bearings make more power? Hahaha.....all my bad.....I'll take the hit. Sorry coup

Man, I sure wish I could! Jim sort of keeps ya on a need to know basis. You get a phone call when he starts your motor work, then you get a call when its done. That's it. If you forget to ask a question, the likelyhood of getting in touch with him again is slim to none. He did give me a check list for parts combination, assembly, and tune up. So I'm not hating on him, he's just a busy guy. From what I understand, he has another job as well. I sure wish his communication was a little better.

For now I'll just leave the intake Windows alone. They seem a little small to me, but I do want to do a little testing down the road

If he is not there for you when you need him why would you use him?? All the people I have talked to as sponsers on this site are more than willing to answer questions..!!!!

If he is not there for you when you need him why would you use him?? All the people I have talked to as sponsers on this site are more than willing to answer questions..!!!!

x2

Jeff at fast kept me informed very well on the work he did for me. and always returned my calls, he called me back twice,2hrs after his closing time to answer questons I had on tuning after my motor was running.

great guy to deal with, awsome portwork

I will vouch for Jims work all day long! But his turn around time and communication are by far the poorest in the industry! For as much work as he puts out and buisness he gets, he should not be working any other jobs! Ive dealt with Jim many ocassions, both mine and the girls bikes have port jobs and parts sales from Jim. Man do they run hard, but Jim is near impossible to get ahold of. He had me down a whole summer once!

Also im not to pleased with his ability to dial in compression, i had custom cut domes that he orderd through noss and they were way out of the ballpark on what they should have been(and what he said they would be). But like i said my cylinders look beautiful and run hard!

Regardless of builder, double check port timings, squish, and compression vs what they tell you it should be. I got a motor back from a big name builder (not on this site) and the squish was 0.032". NOt to mention had to many leaks in the epoxy in the cases that it would have been completely unrunnable.

Regardless of builder, double check port timings, squish, and compression vs what they tell you it should be. I got a motor back from a big name builder (not on this site) and the squish was 0.032". NOt to mention had to many leaks in the epoxy in the cases that it would have been completely unrunnable.

I strongly agree with this!!!

been a few years ago but i sent 3 jugs to different so called professional shops. one looked and ran good. the other two were garbage. decided i wasnt going to pay for dogshit anymore and bought my own porting tools. havent looked back since. alot of halfass shops now days getting rich and sending crap out the door. when the rubber meets the road its easy to see which ones dont know their head from ass

Edited by registered user

been a few years ago but i sent 3 jugs to different so called professional shops. one looked and ran good. the other two were garbage. decided i wasnt going to pay for dogshit anymore and bought my own porting tools. havent looked back since. alot of halfass shops now days getting rich and sending crap out the door. when the rubber meets the road its easy to see which ones dont know their head from ass

i have been learning to do my own stock cylinders as well. andy at m&m will be doing my cheetah though :)

x2

Jeff at fast kept me informed very well on the work he did for me. and always returned my calls, he called me back twice,2hrs after his closing time to answer questons I had on tuning after my motor was running.

great guy to deal with, awsome portwork

Admittedly, I have put up with way to much of a blunder dealing with Jim. However, my bike isn't a duner or a drag bike. It is a TT/Ice bike and I havn't seen any of Jeff's or Kevin's bikes take a single trophy in that kind of riding. Not saying they couldn't, but Jim has.