Another Jetting Question : (

doug

I know. Please don't shoot.

I've got the following setup:

Stock Motor

Toomey T5 pipes/silencers

Boyesen Reeds

Durablue Filter with Airbox mod (in factory air box)

Stock carbs (clean clean clean & replaced fuel valve because it was slightly worn)

Tors removed

Jetted:

280 mains

25 pilots

Toomey Needle on 4th clip (from threaded end)

Air screws 1.5 turns out

Conditions:

13 Celcius / 55 Fahrenheit

114 metres (374 feet) above sea level

and the bike has a bog & is piling up on one cylinder. I have not done a sync with the carb sync tool yet, but did the visual check. I know this isn't the same, but it's a bitch to take the factory air box off and I really thought the bike would run better than this after doing the jetting.

What I am really trying to understand is how to go about diagnosing this. I think that a bog can occur in a "too rich" OR "too lean" scenario? Could this be caused by a carb sync issue? I really thought that the bike would run crisp because it is cold. Not cold enough to run lean, but definitely not on the rich side of things. Any help is appreciated.

i usually start a diagnosis by checking the pickup gap (.018-.020) and making sure the flywheel has no rust on the pickup tabs. then i would check the float height on both carbs. you can switch your plug wires to see if its a bad wire connection. what side is loading? i would put in some new plug when you do this.

No, that gentleman recommending the 27.5 pilot is in error, there is NO data we have ever seen in testing that shows a need to raise the pilot jet under ANY circumstances.........

Testing proves this to us.

ONLY if in the course of tuning, you were closing the pilot air screw (half turn at a time) and the carburation was improving by the pilot system getting richer (pilot system = 0-1/4 throttle only) would you then, after turning the air screw in past 1/2 turn, go up one size jet and start over at the nominal 1.5 turns out and try again. (the effective range of the airscrew is 1/2 to 3 turns out from full in, then a jet change is needed in either direction and the screw returned to the nominal 1.5 turns out position)

This is unnecessary, as the 1.5 turns setting with the stock #25 is correct.

Also, your setup as described is right, the only question I have is do you have the lid on the airbox or not....?? If it is on, take it off.... OR, if it is on, is it ventilated? (a minimum of 12, One-Inch holes are required to allow the proper amount of air into the engine.) If it is off, remove the filter and cleanly try it again, something could be restricting air into the engine and we don't want anything to do this.

YES!! carb synchronization is important, but you can do it with the feel method too, with fingers, of visually if you don't want to remove the rubber boots.

With the idle screws out (not in effect) the slides should make ONE click sound as they bottom out together and should visually rise together. This all assumes clean and lubed cable etc. Twist the throttle (lever?) hard and fully to fully seat all the cables and adjusters while performing this operation.

Best of luck!

S. Toomey

• 10 months later...