Lock Out/Lock-Up Tuning

SlowerThanYou

100% sure it's not lean and has the motor loaded so hard before the velocity through the carbs picks up enough to fuel the low end?

You have brought up a good point twice & I'm paying attention. I've always said the clutch tune-up is not a cure for other tune-up problems.

The low to midrange of the plug is reading richer than we normally run them, but I haven't cut the threads on the new plugs to see where the mains are at, yet. Got to find time to do that this weekend.

We have ran both Alky & Race Gas. IMO, between the two, Alky is much more sensitive in the early part of the run than Race Gas. Now, on the last part of the track. With Race Gas or Gas period, you have a narrower tuning window & being fat is slow. Where Alky has a wider tuning window, you can run it rich & still make good power.

I have to thank Green for bringing up/asking if the motor was lean. He hit the nail on the head. While it may or may not be the cause of our issues. I'm sure it's contributing to them. Thanks Again!

Here's one of the plugs. The idle/low speed area tan is darker than being shown in picture. It's richer than we prefer. The mid range is lean, but we don't pay much attention to that. We are either at low speed or wide the fuck open. The high speed area shows a more distinct yellow than shown. Along with a light/faint & too narrow grey fuel ring.

We had 185 mains & went to 188s to correct the issue.

535%20Plug%20Chop_zpsmiqew0fk.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Have you been back to the track to test any changes?

Yes we have & the jetting didn't help, but I haven't cut the threads off to see if we're still lean.

I'm putting in the multi-stage lock-up & doing some other mods to the clutch system that this set-up didn't have.

When will you be back at the track? I'd like to see you get the problem solved...

We go back on the May 15th for testing.

As for the problem, we will never totally get rid of the bog. It just happens some times, but we try to minimize it. It's just the nature of the beast running 1/4 mile with a 2 stroke quad.

This is a new combo with less than 30 runs. Running/launching a quad with a 18/37 (2.05 ratio) is not an easy task. There was some mods I normally do, that the boy's didn't do when they set this thing up. Plus, we were trying some new things. We were also not doing something's we normally did in the past.

We are going back to what we know worked in the past, with minimum problems. I will try & share the list of changes when we get a handle on this. 

Have you guys ever thought about trying a rz350 transmission? It's gearing ratio is wide enough that you could probably get away with gearing that wouldnt bog at the line..plus not run out of gear at the end of the track like the tight ratio of the banshee trans. Since you run alot longer distance.

Yep, but I did a quick search. I'm not using old/used parts. I think Robinson Industries made them in Billet, but I'm not paying the big price tag.

Anyway, while setting up the clutch system today. I'm sure I found the problem. I found 2 broken clutch frictions. This was a new clutch with less than 30 passes. Usually there's a cause for this & I think I found that too. Looks like it's time for a new spring loaded Hinson basket. I don't know if I can just get the basket alone or have to buy it as a set with primary gears.

Do you prefer the springs over cushions?

I don't have enough runs with the spring loaded basket to base an opinion on it.

Hands down, I'll take the Barnett Basket over anything else out there. The stainless steel inserts prevent the grooving in the basket. 

STY, I'm about to buy a bunch of new components from Barnett actually. Am I wasting my time and money ordering a set of the Cryodized Aluminum plates? I've got tons of steels already Cryo treated. Just wanted to give them a try. Also, I am no longer seeing their Carbon Fiber frictions available individually for the banshee.

STY, I'm about to buy a bunch of new components from Barnett actually. Am I wasting my time and money ordering a set of the Cryodized Aluminum plates? I've got tons of steels already Cryo treated. Just wanted to give them a try. Also, I am no longer seeing their Carbon Fiber frictions available individually for the banshee.

I like to use both the cryo'd steel & aluminum. The thing I found about the Barnett's was the coating smeared & fucked up the frictions when they were new. Once broken in, I don't have a problem with them. Are they worth the money, heck I don't know. I do know they last a long time. That coating is still on them damn plates. You might try calling them on the CF frictions, they should sell you just the frictions.

Thanks for the heads up on the coating. Think a soak in brake cleaner would suffice or do I gotta get drastic?

I figured if I ever had to break in another set. I would use an old used up set of frictions & do it in the bike. I wouldn't know of any better way of doing it. Maybe most of our problem is we run so much slip. It might be just fine for what you are doing.

• 2 weeks later...

Did you get to go to the track this weekend?

Thank god no, LOL! I had a nice 4 day fishing trip, nice to get out of the city.

I have race vehicle maintenance to start tomorrow & into next weekend. We are going to start racing the other quad also. So, with 3 race vehicle & I'm staying pretty busy. The next testing is June 5th with #7 & # 8 points races on June 6 & 7.