Project frame chop

domestic_beotch

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No I wasn't able to ride it cuz it was all bare blasted metal. I didn't want it to rust and have to blast it outside in the snow:( I'm pretty confident it will hold up. I'm picking it up from PC in the morning so I'll get some pics. I'm also going to add more holes for shock positioning on the lower a arms and maybe even mod some 450 spindles to help the bump steer. +4 axle is in the mail so it will be 50" front and rear. The frame will be white. I have blue and white plastics or red. Whichever looks better. The arms and the -2 swinger will be gun metal gray for now. Carbon fiber plastics would be cool but not at the moment

I think it came out nice- Kool DIY project.

But i would have beat the piss out of it, really put it through a series of tests before i sent it off to be powdercoated- Would be like throwing money out the window if something needs tweaking or more weld etc.... anything can happen ya know-

Overall, nice work and goodluck

Joe

YES! i love shout outs! lol but that does look sweet. i cant weld but if i could i would (not that you can now cause the bike just got powerded) put a plate were you welded the 2 tubes tpgether. makes it look better and stronger. Still nice DIY post.

"ZillaFreak, on 05 January 2012 - 09:55 PM, said:

it looks a little weak where the base of the frame connects to the a-arm part

also have you check the a-arm motion yet?"

"Domestic_beotch, on 05 January 2012"

There is a plate that runs on the bottom of the rebuilt section tieing in to the un-modified section. There is also a pair of gussets on each side. kinda boxes in the whole section.

Checked the A-Arm motion? Really? Yeah they goes uppedy down diddy real niicee! Seriously though, the ball joint motion is the same if not better then the full flight set up. They are decent arms, but they really needed sorting. Again this was supposed to do a easy low complicated build. Not a re engineering project. Hence the modification of the A Arms I already had. The only issue may be getting the bump steer sorted by tweaking stem height to correct the motion of tie rods.

Also wanna mention that the heim joints will eventually with extreme angle ball joints once spring comes and the bike is on long travel shocks.

This post has been edited by domestic_beotch: Yesterday, 10:20 PM"

The plate on the bottom runs along the butted rails and is shaped like a Y so it ties to the original part of the frame. Not to mention it was 1/8th inch. The frame is litterally exact banshee dimensions, just narrowed and a few more degrees of rake if that puts in to perspective. Every thing cycles really smooth and uniform, but there is a touch of bump steer. but with the amount of travel it really isnt much. Especially compared to a stock Banshee. there really wasnt much time to keep beating on it with ice season starting up soon here in michigan so we just went for it. If we gotta build a new spindle for the bump steer then so be it. Some times these projects go stale after it is on the bench for to long. so the goal was to just get it to the races and sort it out from there. That is the same situation many pros find themselves in when they are "TESTING" new set ups. Half the battle is even getting it to the track to try out wich is more then most nay sayers will ever accomplish. I am actually pretty stoked that this dude saw pictures and had the balls to say "fuck it, lets do it!" Again, more then most people will ever accomplish.

This is an awesome thread and thanks for taking the time to share your work. I don't know what it is with this site? It isn't Banshee owners in general, I'm on several forums and you never see this kind of S#!t talkin on any of them. Yeah there's always some, but by-and-large most people just try to help out a fellow rider. I think some of these people actually mean well with their "suggestions" but some just love to be a real big asshole2.gif

I'm dying to see what this looks/handles like when you get it set up for summer. Keep the posts coming!

Edited by muggzy

This is an awesome thread and thanks for taking the time to share your work. I don't know what it is with this site? It isn't Banshee owners in general, I'm on several forums and you never see this kind of S#!t talkin on any of them. Yeah there's always some, but by-and-large most people just try to help out a fellow rider. I think some of these people actually mean well with their "suggestions" but some just love to be a real big asshole2.gif

I'm dying to see what this looks/handles like when you get it set up for summer. Keep the posts coming!

Agreed