Shearer in frame big bore drag pipes

Mikee24

So I had Shearer make me some in-frame big-bore drag pipes for my 10 mil cheetah and they don't fit good at all. After repositioning the motor as much as I possibly could (lifting it and reaming the holes a little) I was barely able to get them on and now they are resting on the frame, the upper frame pipe brackets are stretched and they are touching the carbs on both sides. Has anyone else had problems like this? I'm debating on having him make me a new set. Am I being too anal? It will work the way it is I just don't want to have problems down the road or be able to hear the pipes hitting the frame or anything like that. Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated.

So I had Shearer make me some in-frame big-bore drag pipes for my 10 mil cheetah and they don't fit good at all. After repositioning the motor as much as I possibly could (lifting it and reaming the holes a little) I was barely able to get them on and now they are resting on the frame, the upper frame pipe brackets are stretched and they are touching the carbs on both sides. Has anyone else had problems like this? I'm debating on having him make me a new set. Am I being too anal? It will work the way it is I just don't want to have problems down the road or be able to hear the pipes hitting the frame or anything like that. Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated.

The only ones you will get to fit perfect will be hand-coned pipes from matt, and you'd have to have your bike there at his shop and pay a real pretty penny for them. He generally won't do the hand-coned pipes unless its some kind of custom frame or special engine setup. He will try and sell you on a set of stamped pipes. I'd at least give him a call and see what he has to say about the fitment issues you're having. I know the set of big-bore shearer pipes on my buddies 10mil trex fit like crap too. its not just you.

- jared

I've been talking to Matt. He made these ones for my bike. It is a modified frame but the motor is supposed to still be in the same place. Matt says he can make me another set but he would tac them together ship them to me to see if they fit I would ship them back and do this til they fit just right. Then ship them back to be finished and chromed. Shipping would add up quick. They are in and bolted up good. They just rest on the frame. Do you think I should worry about this or just go with them? Thanks for your help guys

Your call if you want to spend the money on em...

I've had issues with bb inframe shearer pipes as well. I worked on them forever trying to get them to fit and honestly they never fit with the carbs quite right. Then one day it hit me. It was the top mounts that was off. So i made my own solid mount and positioned the pipes to where they didn't hit the frame yet tucked nicely by the carbs, now they fight like a glove. I'd highly recommend making your own hanger instead of using a stock one (which will eventually tear because of the force pulling on them).

I've had issues with bb inframe shearer pipes as well. I worked on them forever trying to get them to fit and honestly they never fit with the carbs quite right. Then one day it hit me. It was the top mounts that was off. So i made my own solid mount and positioned the pipes to where they didn't hit the frame yet tucked nicely by the carbs, now they fight like a glove. I'd highly recommend making your own hanger instead of using a stock one (which will eventually tear because of the force pulling on them).

I'm using after market billet brackets with a rubber spacer foot thing. My problem is they are hitting the frame right after they come off the cylinders where they curve down and u-turn back up. How long have you had yours like that? My CPI pipes had a solid mount and the pipe ended up cracking

The big bore inframes are a pretty tight fit right by the lower frame rails. On at least 2 or 3 bikes I know that run them they are a pretty tight fit. If you make mounts you may find the uppee mounts like to be pushed out away from the gas tank area on the frame slightly. If you make mounts double nut your bolts and leave em a little loose. I will say those are very good running pipes somewhat comparable to smallbore out of frames.

I'm using after market billet brackets with a rubber spacer foot thing. My problem is they are hitting the frame right after they come off the cylinders where they curve down and u-turn back up. How long have you had yours like that? My CPI pipes had a solid mount and the pipe ended up cracking

Don't have a ton of hours with the solid mounts i made. However, before that i was running billet hangers, and they simply positioned the pipes to where they either rubbed on the frame or the left pipe even hit the cylinder. With the aluminum ones i can't remember how long i have ran them... probably 3-4 years minimum and they were bolted solid and pipes haven't cracked.

• 2 weeks later...