Transmission Issues - Need Advice

sandrappy

Long story short, the bike isn't a strict drag bike. more of a dune/drag/hill shooting bike. Was running the stock transmission for years and finally decided to try an duneable override (couldn't shift it under power), Wanted to try dunable because a standard override is out of the question. Anyway sent the stock tranny to WCR and got a 1-4 with manual 5th and 6th gear "extreme duneable" cut. The engine hasn't had more than 10 minutes of run time with this transmission and has bent shift forks twice. I'm not sure what the cause is, but essentially riding it for a bit causes second to jump in and out of gear when under power. Pull motor apart and all shift forks need replaced.

Talking with WCR he is blaming it on the matton billet cases saying that tolerances are horrible in them, and with those cases they have nothing but problems with cut trannys. What i'm wondering is should i mess with sending it back to him again to fix? Last time i only sent the tranny back and this time he says he needs the bottom cases to see what is going on and how to fix it. The bike doesn't get ridden much but a few times a year on holiday weekends. it was rock solid before but now the new motor has been in the bike for two years and really haven't even gotten to test it out yet or dialed in because of the tranny.

So i'm looking for advice. should i let him try and fix it or say to heck with it and put a stock tranny back in it? I'm tired of the issues and don't have the time to keep tearing it apart. Also how have you guys heard how WCR's extreme duneable are holding up? was suppose to be the best thing since sliced bread......

That's fucking nonsense. Almost every person with billet cases is running a cut tranny. There are known problems with his extreme duneable transmissions. I saw one grenade itself after 2 minutes of run time. This is a transmission problem, not a billet case problem.

Like loco said its not the cases, thats wcr not taking care of you. Theres no part of the cases holding the forks or gears only the rods. Honestly get a different trans or you need to not backload it. You cant go downhill and downshift to slow yer bike and whoops are hard on em if you let off.

Edited by RadarRacing

Like loco said its not the cases, thats wcr not taking care of you. Theres no part of the cases holding the forks or gears only the rods. Honestly get a different trans or you need to not backload it. You cant go downhill and downshift to slow yer bike and whoops are hard on em if you let off.

Any time the transmission has been run it was not backloaded very hard if at all, and was defiantly never used to slow down the bike down the hill or downshifted like that. Heck with a stock tranny i won't coast down a hill with no throttle as your turning high rpms with throttle closed and no oil getting to engine.... I honestly think it is the engine overpowering the transmission. I think most duneables have been used with smaller engines.

contacted WCR about it and he is going to swap me out for a "pro mod" tranny. Which is essentially a stock transmission that is under cut. So should be able to ride the piss out of it just like a stock transmission but be able to shift it better when racing.... or at least i hope so and that i don't have to take the motor apart again to pull the tranny.

Long story short, the bike isn't a strict drag bike. more of a dune/drag/hill shooting bike. Was running the stock transmission for years and finally decided to try an duneable override (couldn't shift it under power), Wanted to try dunable because a standard override is out of the question. Anyway sent the stock tranny to WCR and got a 1-4 with manual 5th and 6th gear "extreme duneable" cut. The engine hasn't had more than 10 minutes of run time with this transmission and has bent shift forks twice. I'm not sure what the cause is, but essentially riding it for a bit causes second to jump in and out of gear when under power. Pull motor apart and all shift forks need replaced.

Talking with WCR he is blaming it on the matton billet cases saying that tolerances are horrible in them, and with those cases they have nothing but problems with cut trannys. What i'm wondering is should i mess with sending it back to him again to fix? Last time i only sent the tranny back and this time he says he needs the bottom cases to see what is going on and how to fix it. The bike doesn't get ridden much but a few times a year on holiday weekends. it was rock solid before but now the new motor has been in the bike for two years and really haven't even gotten to test it out yet or dialed in because of the tranny.

So i'm looking for advice. should i let him try and fix it or say to heck with it and put a stock tranny back in it? I'm tired of the issues and don't have the time to keep tearing it apart. Also how have you guys heard how WCR's extreme duneable are holding up? was suppose to be the best thing since sliced bread......

Hey man I don't think wcr is all its cracked up to be. I have heard some people speak highly of them. I'll tell you I spent over 1300 dollars having Brandon rebuild my motor. When I got it back I had under 4 hours on it when it welded the rod to the ball. When I called and talked to him I did not get any kind of refund or anything just it happens type of thing. I would say you have to do alot of research before letting anyone do the work.. I do hear alot of good things about Jeff at F.A.S.T racing. So I am not very happy with wcr work myself... Seriously I think there should be some kind of warranty or something like if your shit breaks the first time you use it maybe its not bc you did something wrong lol.. I mean my bike is not a drag bike are anything and I didn't even ride it hard for those few hours I was just breaking it in.

Dude, I'm running a fucking 2-4 duneable from Redline in two 18mm DM's. Your motor isn't overpowering shit. Mine isn't even an extreme. Just a regular duneable. I shift up and down with or without the clutch and I've been doing so for several years. You're fooling yourself if you think it's anything but the tranny.

WEIRD.... Yet another super duper mondo yondo extreme rocket blah blah WCR tranny is fucked up.. If they spent more time learning to cut trannys and less time trying to figure out gay names for them that all end in the same result (expensive paper weights) they might have something... If you have gone through all the BS to build a big motor and use billet cases and so on, there is NO NEED to use a manual shift tranny.. NONE!!!!!!! Cut your losses with WRC, and call Redline Racing. 541-367-2453 and have him cut you a tranny that WILL WORK... Answer me this.. If a WCR override wont work in billet cases than how is a manual gonna work? The are still located in the same position.. Hes filling you full of shit!! Its their JUNK trannys not the cases..So your telling me all of these guys are spending 2500 dollars on billet trannys and putting them in cases that are questionable?? Get fucking real!!!! Get a REAL builder to cut you a tranny!

I have had issues to with wcr also but on the other side i have 10 or better wcr dunables in bikes for over 3yrs with no problems,i have had to massage a few drums and gears and change spring pressures on a few , but i was discusted with him for a lil,i went to robinson now and wont go anywhere else his shop is close by me and he knows some guys i know from street bike draggin and his work is top notch just take out your wallet