Sheared clutch basket stud

colby72olds

The threaded stud that goes through the center of the clutch basket sheared. I also found the nut and washer that tighten on the outer side of the basket sitting in my clutch cover. Somehow the clutch release lever that comes out of the crank case, that the cable connects to locked up and bent. It won't pull up out of the case like it should.

I'm going to have to wait until tomorrow to get a flywheel puller anyways so I'll let the pics do the talking for now.

10135356439.jpg

I can't tell by looking but I assume the ball that sometimes gets welded to the shaft is still in there? Behind the part of the shaft that is still threaded into it.

Why do you think the shaft sheared?

10135356440.jpg

What do y'all think caused this bad boy to lock up? And what is keeping it from pulling out of the case?

10135356442.jpg

Also, FWIW I don't recall all this shit happening. I just got on it it ride and realized I couldn't pull the clutch lever in.

Clutch accuator rod friction welded itself together. It happens when you hold your clutch while moving for extended periods of time. Easiest fix is to get a pancake bearing and when you re-install everything put lots of grease on everything from the accuator arm to the ball to the rod to the pancake bearing. Sometimes you can get the old broken one out without splitting the cases, but worse case scenario, spit them and get the broke stuff out. If you do have to split them its a good time to replace transmission bearings and check everything out.

- Jared

Wait a second, why is your clutch push-rod threaded? That rod should not be threaded. It looks like someone ghetto-rigged some shit in there. Its supposed to go... Clutch accuator arm, SOLID push-rod, push-rod ball, then your clutch adjustment or pancake bearing. Or is the threaded thing in the picture your adjustment bolt?

Edited by BigRed350x

Im still looking.. So what Im guessing by the length of the threaded stud thingy, at some point someone, some how sheared off the shaft in there and the fix was to add that little chuck of bolt to make up the distance. Im guessing there are MUCH BIGGER issues behind the scenes in that motor. Tear down and start over!

The threaded stud that goes through the center of the clutch basket sheared. I also found the nut and washer that tighten on the outer side of the basket sitting in my clutch cover. Somehow the clutch release lever that comes out of the crank case, that the cable connects to locked up and bent. It won't pull up out of the case like it should.

i think some crack head put your motor together(no offense if you did it) but the is not suposed to be a regular bolt its supposed to be threaded all the way down with a philips head on it

i think some crack head put your motor together(no offense if you did it) but the is not suposed to be a regular bolt its supposed to be threaded all the way down with a philips head on it

Lol! No offense if he is the crack head? How do you call someone a crack head and then say "No offense"? Just thought that was kinda funny. For sure that thing has been rigged though.

Try one of those telescoping magnetic retrieval tools to pull the rest of the pieces out.

The parts are welded together. My guess is that they are welded pretty good too. A magnet sure isn't gonna get it out. I wouldn't even mess with trying to fix it without spitting the cases. Simply because of what else maybe rigged in your lower end. I'd take it apart, check everything and reassemble. The RTV it looks like your cases are sealed with is going to cause you big problems down the road. Someone who didn't know what they were doing has had it apart before. Tear it down, do it right and save yourself the headache down the road. Just my 2 cents.

SP

There is a phillips head on the end but it's not threaded all the way. I haven't been into the bottom end and I could definitely imagine the guy I bought it from ghetto rigging all of it. It sheared off about 4 inches from the phillips head. I did try an extending magnet to get the rest of the shit out and there was no way that was working haha.

Thanks guys I'll tear it apart and see what kind of ghetto rigged stuff is in the bottom end.

Edited by colby72olds