Clutch got messed up, should this happen?

Okay so this is the first time ever that my clutch gets messed up,

okay so i took my shee to get the carbs cleaned and the guy told me that it needed clutch work(charged me $250 but i had no money so i said no)

okay so he said that it was wasted and that it would get to a point where it would stop working.

so yesterday i turn the shee on and let it warm up, i go down the street, i get it up to 6th gear, (alot of smoke starts coming out through the pipes) when i get back to my garage the clutch lever was completely loose and wobbly,

i know that i need a new clutch, but the cause of the clutch lever being wobbly is because of the clutch being wasted?

okay so i took my shee to get the carbs cleaned and the guy told me that it needed clutch work(charged me $250 but i had no money so i said no)

okay so he said that it was wasted and that it would get to a point where it would stop working.

so yesterday i turn the shee on and let it warm up, i go down the street, i get it up to 6th gear, (alot of smoke starts coming out through the pipes) when i get back to my garage the clutch lever was completely loose and wobbly,

i know that i need a new clutch, but the cause of the clutch lever being wobbly is because of the clutch being wasted?

Check to see that your clutch arm (Under the left side carb) moves with the handle. It's possible that maybe you snapped the clutch cable, but that wouldn't explain your smoke issue.

you might have weld the push rod inside your clutch but like matt said that wouldnt make it smoke

That happened to me a few months back. It would be a bitch to shift or you wouldn't be able to shift

Yeah, I was still able to use it after without the clutch and the smoke stopped coming out,

so im guessing thats why smoke came out? cuz it got messed up

So it only started doing this after you let the guy work on your bike?

Thought that was funny as well.

Smoke coming out of the pipes (silencers or connections) has nothing to do with your clutch. The cable or perch problem is just that. A problem at the perch or a stretched cable that needs the length adjusted. The clutch being "wasted" isn't really a very technical description of what is wrong with the clutch. Anyone that told me I needed a new clutch because it was "wasted" wouldn't even get my money for parts. The clutch mechanics are simple. You have friction plates and steels. If things get too hot down there you can glaze the friction plates (this is a visual observation) and "blue" the steels (another visual observation). Other than that the clutches will wear out. In which case you measure the thickness or each plate and steel to see if it is within allowable tolerances. You can buy clutch plates and steels along with tension springs from rocky mountain for about $50. Maybe an hour to install depending on how much beer you drink in the process (usually takes me about 2 hours) and you're done. Now, if you have a problem with the clutch basket (sometimes the plates wear grooves in the stock basket and causes trouble disengaging) it will need replaced. At this point, a new stock basket is about $35 or a billet one (that won't groove easily) is about $150.

So, break down your problem to were the problem is at. The clutch is completely seperate from the exhuast. The sloppiness of the cable has nothing to do with the condition of your clutch (although if it is too tight it will definately effect the condition of your clutch!). Once you break each issue down to what it really is you'll realize this thing isn't a rocket ship. It isn't going to the moon and it is pretty simple mechanically and electrically to work on. And if you don't have a banshee bible (aka clymer's manual), go out and get one.

Best of luck,

SP

• 1 month later...

i have no idear...

spurdys prices go down the more he drinks. end of the night he'll PAY you to take shit..

just dont go sit in his camper the damn couch will break.

Naw, I got er fixed up real good! It will hold your extra medium ass now! Lmao!

I have an entire stock clutch with inner and outer hub plus basket. $100. PM if interested.

SP

• 3 weeks later...

theres no reason ANYBODY should be paying someone to work on these bikes, anybody with a highschool degree can diagnose a problem. Like said above if a technicion told me a clutch was "wasted" id look somewhere else. Pull the cover, read your clymers, and with some help from the forums, you will be fine!

Cody