Running on one cylinder

So i took my banshee out yesterday and after one lap around a pond it was running on only one cylinder. cant kick start it must be pull started and then its only one cylinder still. pulled plugs, junk but cleaned them and swapped them side to side. still the right side wont fire. inspected the wire and my buddy checked spark while i kicked it. went all the way up his arm to his shoulder. so i have spark and i just got done cleaning the carbs.

my plan is to perform compression chekc, pull and inspect carbs, pull reeds to see if i can find any damage.

If the carb is just that dirty or something then i'll clean and install to try it again.

hopefully the lap around the pond on powerband didn't hurt anything in the motor. the passenger side pipe still smokes so there was still fuel and oil getting into that side but its the heat difference cylinder to cylinder that worries me....

what do you guys think?

they are in the right carbs. i never take both slides out at the same time. i take one carb off, disassemble, clean, reassemble, and install. then repeat for the other one. im gonna get new plugs and do a compression check. we'll see what happens.

Put new plugs in it and got it running on both cylinders most of the time now but no power and i cannot start it by kicking unless i spray a little brake clean into the carbs. im gonna pull the carbs off and inspect them to see if there is dirt in them again just to make sure. whats the next step after that then? at the same time im going to re-pull the tank and see what i can see into the spark plug hole. how much do i have to replace if i pull the head off? eg bolts, gaskets, anything else?

• 1 month later...

Got a compression check on the left side and could only manage 70 psi. throttle all the way open and did it like 5 times cause i couldn't believe it was that low. last time i checked it was 110 :angry:

what should i check next or should i pull the top end off?

Put new plugs in it and got it running on both cylinders most of the time now but no power and i cannot start it by kicking unless i spray a little brake clean into the carbs. im gonna pull the carbs off and inspect them to see if there is dirt in them again just to make sure. whats the next step after that then? at the same time im going to re-pull the tank and see what i can see into the spark plug hole. how much do i have to replace if i pull the head off? eg bolts, gaskets, anything else?

never spray brake clean in your motor fumes are very hazardous(seizures strokes death) and i could have sworn brake cleaner hardens rubber seals and eats them.

Edited by coryv4

Got a compression check on the left side and could only manage 70 psi. throttle all the way open and did it like 5 times cause i couldn't believe it was that low. last time i checked it was 110 :angry:

get a different compression tester ive had a motor that is running good and last checked had 145psi and the other compression tester only read 40 got a new tester and it read 145 again

get a different compression tester ive had a motor that is running good and last checked had 145psi and the other compression tester only read 40 got a new tester and it read 145 again

I had a similar experience with mine, but mine would idle fine. But at soon as I rev up the engine, only one cylinder would accelerate/fire. Come to find out, the retainer clip that holds the slider needle on the right carb had come off, so even though the slide would move up/down the needle would just stay in its idle/down position, thus starving the right cylinder. I also did a compression test on mine and I had 120psi on both cylinders. Hope is nothing serious.

What was compression on the right side. Way more? If so, I would say that you need a top end rebuild.