Poll: UNI or K&N

boonman

What type of filter setup do you run?  

19 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Alright, I want to see what people are running here at the HQ. I have tried to provide and think of all the options. This is an ever going debate, and I want to get to the bottom of it. If you want ot post a reply, that would be sweet!! Maybe tell about why you feel the way you do about what you are running for a filter setup. Maybe also what conditions you ride in. I am running my UNI foam filter in the stock airbox, no lid, with an outerwear, (I feel no matter what you should always run an outerwear). I ride every condition imaginable. Wet, rain, sand, mud, dry, dusty, trails, MX, hare scrambles......... Put it down!!! :twisted:

I run the Toomey 2:1 UNI filter with an outerwear.

I ride trails dusty, muddy, wet trails.

I have Trinity pipes, Boyeson reeds, and 28MM bored stock carbs.

I found that I had a very significant power gain over the stock system. I have NEVER had a problem with water or mud getting into the carbs and even the outerwear doesn't get mud on it. I may not get as wet as some folks but I never had a problem with water.

The only down side is that the outerwear sits too close to the pipes and now that I've switched to Trinity Pipes from the T5's I was running, I have 2 new holes in the outerwear.

The other thing is the engine is alot louder since you can hear the carb sounds. If you're already running without a lid, you're probably already used to it.

I also run the Toomey 2:1 UNI filter with an outerwear.

I ride in lots of conditions, primarily sand though, MX soon. :twisted:

I chose the 2:1 over the K&N clamp-ons because I was sick of replacing outerwears on the K&Ns & cleaning them all the time! I never had a problem with the K&N's filtering, but I had to clean them a lot more than I do my Uni filter on the 2:1 setup, which filters just as good/if not better in some conditions. I noticed no change in power when I went to the 2:1, nor did I have to re-jet. I would recommend the 2:1 setup to anyone, mainly because of the lessened hassle factor, the 2:1 is a lot more durable & easier to maintain, and I am still using the outerwear that came with it! :wink:

My side-shee has a single 34pwk(pretty sure NEway) carb with a K&N and outerwear....will probably stay that way. :?

I run a K&N with Outerwear in the stock airbox, no lid.

I ride about 50/50 between dunes (no dust), and TT (nasty dust sometimes), with some occasional desert riding thrown in.

I've never had any problems with the K&N or the Outerwear, or the UMI Racing air filter adapter plate. It may or may not filter out the finest dust but it beats the hell out of the stock setup, and in my case it works great.

I run a Toomey 2:1 UNI filter with a black outerwear. Klotz foam filter oil.

The setup works great but........

My Banshee will bogg real bad whenever I hit a big puddle. Im starting to suspect the bogg is caused by the open airfilter is getting wet. I just bought a new Outerwear for it, its supposed to be waterproof, but it didnt help. Im thinkin aboug going back to the airboxpro flo combo. The bogging is pretty bad, and doesnt kill the quad, it keeps running but its sputterin and boggin for about 200 yards then it "clears it throat" and running great. I have to figure this problem out, I cant be braking for every mudpuddle I come across, and installing the airbox might work...

.... Id hate to lose the Toomey filter setup tho. whatchas think?

i switched from dual k&N clamp ons to a single pro design two stage filter. I bought new manifolds to fit from the 35mm carbs to the airbox but completly cut away the airbox leaving just the proflo flange. i had to grind off the top corner air box screws to get it to fit between my pipes and epoxy it to make sure there was no holes. Its ghetto but it works

I run the stock box with the lid on. I plan to remove the lid when I get the time to rejet.

I have the ProDesign plate with the UNI dual stage foam filter and an outerwear.

I only oil the inner filter. I can usually get by with only cleaning the outer filter and outerwear between rides. I can do this with Simple Green and water. I will clean and re-oil the inner filter if it appears dirty, but I rarely have to. This keeps me from having to deal with the nasty filter oil as often.

I run a toomey 2 into 1 UNI with a filter skin and outerwear. When your riding at glamis you want the best filtration possible. Filterskins supposedly filter 90% of the crap out, and they come in packs of 3 so when get one dirty you can quick change it with a pre-oiled one.

I run the Toomey 2:1 with outerwear. I used to run a K&N with outerwear on my old LT250. After having the cylinder bored twice, I asked why, the machinist said it looked like sand had gotten thru :cry: .Sold the LT got a banshee Toomey said the foam filter is the way to go. I plan on installing a new oiled foam filter every six months no washing no worrying just gonna wash the outerwear. If your outerwear touches your pipes, just put a ziptie on it where it touches. I run sand only. :)